How good is the GT6 heater compared to the Spitfire? (Probably a flaw in my thnking ....)

DVD3500

8 hours ago, Badwolf said:

You need something to warm the place up, then turn it off just before you start spraying. A propane/butane heater is a good choice as it a controlable. A wood burner maybe not so.

But burning gas will produce moisture, which is not desirable. Wood burner could work well, usually draws cold air from the room(garage) and if well designed won't let soot/smoke into the area. But they are a lot of faff. I just use 2x2kw heaters, approx 70p per hour, or a fiver for a day. But nice and easy.

8 hours ago, Paul H said:

I have removed the garage door and filled in with a single door and window . The walls are concrete panels which has been battened and covered with plywood , same with the roof 

Paul

How do you now get the car in?

How about a kenlowe "hotstart"?? most are copies now)

Basically a small electric water heater fitted to the cars coolant system, and plugged in so you turn it on 30mins before you want to drive off. Engine all preheated for you. Just don't forget to unplug. Plenty of Russian ones about..

Image 31 - 220V 3000W Auto Engine Coolant Heater- Preheating Motor Heating EU Plug

2 hours ago, clive said:

But burning gas will produce moisture, which is not desirable. Wood burner could work well, usually draws cold air from the room(garage) and if well designed won't let soot/smoke into the area. But they are a lot of faff. I just use 2x2kw heaters, approx 70p per hour, or a fiver for a day. But nice and easy.

How do you now get the car in?

It’s a land locked garage which is in the back garden . Plan is to spray all the removable body parts in there . 
Paul

• Thanks 1

There are little clay ovens you put a big candle in and they are supposed to keep things like green houses and chicken coops warm. The candle is very broad and the oven itself has a wide diameter so unless you purposely kick it it really can't fall over.

The idea is the candle warms up the ceramic/clay and goes out after a few hours but the ceramic/clay still gives off heat....

I actually looked into on of those pre-heaters for the Porsche, both for the oil and the coolant but I moved to an apartment and had no access to power so I made sure I got a car battery with the maximum amount of amps and used electrical stuff...

That's going back a bit! You used to get paraffin heaters, wide low thingies that you lit and set under the sump of the car in really cold weather. I'd spend the night worrying that the entire car was going to go up...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254982760783?hash=item3b5e28294f:g:nkAAAOSwegxgosEP

25 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'd spend the night worrying that the entire car was going to go up...

It used to be fairly standard practice amongst what are now known as the "ice road truckers" to light a bonfire under the engine while they had breakfast. One major US diesel engine maker, unaware of this, began to fit plastic sumps (for cost and weight saving). That was not a desirable combination.

Thread Drift Alert !

An experiment today . We have a wood burner in the conservatory which is the same size as the garage . In one hr raised the temp by 8 degrees . I have a spare wood burner and trunking as well , needs refurbishing . Looks like this might work . The trunking cant go through the roof so how to cut 6ins diameter hole in the concrete panel ? 
Paul 

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

We have a wood burner in the conservatory which is the same size as the garage .

Jumping Jehoobies!! That's one big wood burner.

Mark the hole out where you want it, and go round the edge with a masonry drill. It'll take a lot of small drill holes but eventually like one of the old tax discs you'll be able to tear along the perforations.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Jumping Jehoobies!! That's one big wood burner.

Mark the hole out where you want it, and go round the edge with a masonry drill. It'll take a lot of small drill holes but eventually like one of the old tax discs you'll be able to tear along the perforations.

No it’s 4kw Villager Puffin smallest in the range . Because the flue pipes are exposed ( twin lined ) there’s a lot of heat transfer . This will be the same setup in the garage . 

Back in the 80`s a collegue, was working at a Nat Trust property, they where taking down some unsafe hot houses, He copped for all the redundent coal fired cast iron Boiler, radiators etc;. and fitted them in his garage with the boiler in it own little open fronted "shed" outside. Working in his gargage in winter was quite "toasty". Old Boiler was fired on anything that would burn.

Pete

One winter the brackets on my '76 Firebird rusted through so we went to a friend of my Dad's as he had some metal working machines and a lot of spares.

After fabricating a gasket out of a tin can (as you do) we reconnected the exhaust and used some of that crap-tastic putty to make it seal a little better... you are supposed to let it dry at least 24 hours or 15 minutes at idle. 

So three we are, in a sealed garage, in deep winter in Michigan my Dad and his friend burning through cancer sticks at about one ever 2 minutes...

So I open the house door to the garage for fresh air and as I step into the cold (subzero °F or °C) night I see my shadow cast on the clean white snow.... and then it  disappear as my Dad's friends locks me out of the garage...

He still thinks it's funny to this day...

BTW: When I moved to France in 1994 I had to have a tuberculosis test done. They asked me how long I had been smoking to which I said "never"  (which was true at the time... of course when living in France one must suck on some cigarette at some point..) He should me the scarring and damage my lungs had... all from second hand smoke from my Dad... 

Luckily your body is a wonderful thing and most damage dissappears over time.

I had to do a lung test because they thought I was having an auto-immune problem.

The technician kept scowling and telling me I wasn't blowing hard enough and making "tut tut" sounds.

(Boring details: You sit in what looks like a very small phone booth and they pinch your nose shut and you blow in a tube...)

I pointed out to her it might help if she wasn't sitting on the tube!

After that even though i really couldn't  tell much difference she stepped being annoying.

They claimed I have low lung capacity but my first child was considered "borderline fat and short" according to their stats and my second child who was shorter and heavier was considered "normal" because the stats had changed!

As a baby my eldest grandson was approaching the 100th percentile (whatever that means) and the medics threatened a diet, daughter told them what to do with their diet. Grandson is now 8 wearing 12 year old size clothes, he's tall, broad and solid muscle, doesn't take after grandad at all.  

Doug

23 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

all from second hand smoke

I also spent the first 20 years of my life in smoke fog. My mum smoked at least 40 per day and my dad 20 but it seemed they had to smoke them all when I was around! I remember going to my friends house and his mum, a non smoker, commenting I smelt like an ash tray. Consequently I've never smoked. 

Iain 

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

As a baby

i was 3.5lbs  but manged to grow to a tad under 6ft and make 14 stones  Dad smoked  hundreds or players or Piccadilly  cigarettes and coughed well , i have tried  no more than 5 fags  and just got smoke in the eyes    awful  so ive never smoked  heading for 77 this year but have no interest in running for the bus either 

Dad being in Buying at Commer had a lot of cigars at xmas and he kept many till he retired , one was a hermetically sealed glass tub full of corona's i used to pop it open and show friends  Nah   this is a cigar...!!   well when he cam to light them they burnt furiously and  pong was rotten  cabbages    Oh says dad must have had a leak    Yeah 

he did live till 93 and 17 st.most of his life as dad .

suet puds pastry  cracking  cakes  butter    dumplings  and all the things we are supposed to avoid   ,must be good for you 

but he only had Humbers  never  a GT6    

Pete

Mine was the other extreme, smoked heavily, worked like a trooper but ate fried breakfasts and plenty of HP Sauce. In and out of hospital from his 30s, cut open like a side of beef and stitched back up again, you could have run a model train all over him with all of the huge 'train tracks' round his chest and back. Died of a heart attack at 65.

One of the reasons I never smoked, probably.

What was this thread about, initially?