Snapped rear spring

Rich

Hi out in the lovely sunshine today enjoying the Vitesse then Bang, the end of the leaf spring snapped off leaving the car 1 inch from the floor on the left hand side ????

Has anyone ever experienced this and is it an easy fix to replace ?

Thanks In advanced

Regards

Rich

Not sure which vitesse you have.

If rotoflex, you will need a spring-lifter (diagram in the workshop manual, buy/beg/steal one) Bit of a faff to fit, but do-able with thought/patience/correct tools and a big hammer. Plenty of tea/biscuits too. Non-roto is easier.

New spring, canleys sell british made ones.

Clive many thanks, managed to whip it out tonight and now on the look out for a new one. The car was slightly lowered but I don't think it had a lowering block (if that's what its called) there was a block over the spring about 10mm thick, could this be the lowering block?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Rich

the plate on top of the spring is about 10mm thick , , to lower you fit a per shaped alloy packer under the spring it is machined to locate int ehd top of the diff

and also to take the spring leaves ,

on the swing axle and rota there are 6 studs with 3/8"unf nuts , if you fit a lowering block you may need longer studs 

canley sell them

tighten the six bolts in a sequence to spread the clamping effect   ( like a cyl  head ) start with the ,more cental and then the outers , do initial torque to 15lbft the final tighten to 28/32 lbft.

if you drop it an 1" you need the longest studs and need to remove the cover as they will foul it,  rarebits did make some deeper covers , I used a thick truck mudfalp.

you need enough sideways room to extract the  full length of the spring through the wheel arch , you dont need a spring lifter for swing axles , maybe a little assistance from a jack to lift the upright up to fit the spring eye bolt.

and while in the back seat/boot  check the two body to chassis bolts either side of the drive tunnel  into the diff crossmember are tight

if they slacken off you get a lot of clatter on poor roads 

Pete

Many thanks Pete.

Ive ordered one off Canleys but im confused (not hard) because the car was lowered (the one in my avatar) by the original owner but has no lowering blocks. The gas shocks (spax) are only ride adjustable not height adjustable so how would they have lowered the back end?

i suppose i can only fit the new spring and use lowering blocks to get it level with the front

Thanks in advance

Rich

some weld and re drill the eye bolt hole in the upright ??

or its a special dropped  height spring , I  had a moss one that just sank , 

when we had a swinger  it was low ,had to remve the bump rings out of the shocker canister, , then it just went more lower  , then it was removed 

even had a pair of short gaz made but ...hopeless.

guess you have to fit what comes and decide  there on , but spring best  to be removed to fit the block down the studs or to fit in situ remove the studs 

with spring up against the floor .. slide spacer in , then  refit studs , and allow spring to  settle    .with all the  fingers and space problems .

Pete

So, managed to fit the new spring from Canleys tonight and Paul you were right in regards to some having a larger end on the spring and press onto the brake flexi hose.  The car sits well and feels really tight less for the spring pressing on the flexi hose.

So tomorrow I'm going to either heat it up and bend it away from the flexi or cut just above the flexi so to doesn't touch.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Thanks

I would return it. as on original springs the outer ring gives support to the leaf with the bush at the end, compare it to your old spring. Just jack up the vertical link with out the roadwheel fitted and see how much the bush leaf flexes, can not be good for it and you have already experienced a break. This was talked about on the old forum, Heralds which have smaller diameter rear brakes do not have the brake plpe problem as I understand it. It was some years ago I changed the one on my MK1 Vitesse and managed to get one which was correct although can not remember from where.

Bsst of luck.

Paul

if you fit a swinger kit you have to add a bracket to the back plate and a acute bend short bundy to re route the hose away form the spring eye 

which looks fine when jacked but rattles through the pipework when on road , theres a lot of shift to the outer rolled eye

if you have this with a std spring there's something not quite right

suggest you contact Canley 

Pete

Hello Pete,

Spoke to Canleys and they were really helpful. He told me he has had these before and just cuts the last 2 inches off the ends which makes sense as its a huge bend and not the same as the one I took off.  Its fine now and well away from the brakes and with a quick spray of hammerite looks the part with no weakness of the spring.

many thanks for all you help and advice

Rich