GT6 CV Driveshafts Classic Driving Development

Having spoken to a few people and read extensively about it, I have decided to do away with the rotoflex on the six and fit CDD CV shafts. Just wondering if anyone in the Swindon area has a rear spring lifter that I might borrow when I come to do the job in early October? If anyone is interested, I will photograph the whole job from start to finish and publish it here. Let me know or I will keep quiet!

The spring tension can be safely released without the need for a spring lifter.

Disconnect the rear dampers, allowing the rear suspension to drop fully (handbrake cables and brake hoses should already have been disconnected). Take out the two centre studs from the spring clamp plate (which remains firmly held by the four remaining studs at the corners). Screw a pair of 6" long 3/8" UNF studs into the centre holes and wind nuts down these long studs onto the plate.

Undo the nuts on the four studs at the corners. Now gradually wind the nuts back up the long centre studs, slowly releasing the spring tension. Reverse the process when refitting the spring.

Nigel

I've never used the spring lifting tool so can't say which method is easier.

BTW, I have the CDD shafts on my GT6. Excellent kit, fit and forget. But take care to check the shimming and get correct end float on the rear hub bearings. It's critical.

Nigel

The spring lifter is quite easy to use, one side at a time. Nigel's method is OK if you've got good access to the top of the diff, but if there's an occasional rear seat fitted then it may be a hassle to get to it. Worse on a Spitfire as the fuel tank's in the way.