Changing Brake Fluid - Issue

Paul H

Change DOT4 at least every 2 years, even on well used vehicles. I experienced loss of braking due to "fluid boil", on a 9tonne R-V once!. It is a definite "brown trouser" moment!. As for your New Fluid showing "iffy". I would suspect the tester?. I`ve recently done my `06 P-107, because I had no idea when it was last done. I treat myself to a Vaccuum kit to speed the job up single handed.

Pete

we had to continually sample trucks with DOT4  as storeage times could be Looong  the moisture content over a year was really alarming  all down the the breathing via the reservoir cap vent with ambient temperature changes   when its hot air is expanded and expelled  then overnight its cooled and drawn back in thats where the moisture enters and the flluid absorbs

it   its the moisture content that boils off in a hot caliper  and you loose the pedal   its not the fluid   boiling just the water and whilst tootling round the lanes probably wont get hot enough but  a fast dash down countisbury in devon or hardknott in the lakes and brown trouser rules will be evident 

a change every 2 years is the industry standard

yes petrol on a hot exhaust will fizz and vapour up , wont ignite      but brake fliuid will be an instant fire 

Pete

I never understood why cars dont have a rubber bellows arrangement like motorbikes to keep the fluid away from the air. Its just a folded membrane clamped in place by the reservoir lid that seals the fluid but still allows its level to change. The air above it is then free to enter and exit as normal....

23 minutes ago, johny said:

a rubber bellows arrangement like motorbikes

Racking my brain to think where I had seen that arrangement. BMW R100RS.👍. There is a similar system on (some) US R-V`s with the Power Brake Boost system too, Did`nt prevent the issue with the R-V though!!

Pete

No fun running out of brakes due to boiling, it happened to me in the early 70's in the Mk2 Vitesse crossing the St Goddard Pass and doing battle with a Alfa, he finely nailed me coming down on a straight section. I limped into Como and after booking into the hotel I took the car to the RR garage next door to get the brakes and steering sorted, left the car with them overnight they changed the brake fluid and bled the brakes, and welded a bolt onto the sheared U bolt that holds the rack, they wouldn't change me, saying they'd get it back on the next Rolls service! The owner asked who won, I told him the Alfa on the way down, I'd held him off all the way up and most of the way down the pass, he said I hadn't tried hard enough, he'd taken the Vitesse home overnight and was very impressed with it's easy revving good torque and roadholding, great car for driving the alps.

I then dropped a UJ in the tunnel at Monte Carlo, being a smart arse, well the GP had only finished a week earlier, and I gave the car some real wellie when I entered the tunnel, now that repair did cost me a lot, only a UJ, but the Frenchie garage in Nice charged 50quid!

Depends how old your seals are. DOT4  "lubricates" the seals, DOT5 doesn't. so older seals may appear fine until you pour the DOT5 in. Here is an excellent piece on choosing brake fluid.

Selecting+Brake+Fluid.pdf (squarespace.com)

I didn't change my clutch seals when I swapped to DOT5 and it works fine, although had to be bled 3 times over 3 or 4 days to get the air out.

Douh

• Like 2

from past history  makers like girling/lockheed offered no warranty on hydraulic components using Dot5 even though it was approved on certain military contracts 

we used it on .the lack of moisture absorption helps vehicles in long store. 

i was just  a firm  NO !!

one thought following Dougs post about lubrication 

DOT5 does not seep past  the seal lip so the bore continually runs dry  

so its  a win some loose some 

52 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

from past history  makers like girling/lockheed offered no warranty on hydraulic components using Dot5 even though it was approved on certain military contracts 

Yeh, the Buckeye Triumph guy says that, he put it in his TR6, but not his moderns because it invalidates the warranty. And you shouldn't use it on ABS brakes.

Doug

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

And you shouldn't use it on ABS brakes.

That's OK -Bond didn't fit ABS to the Equipe, although it may have been possible to buy Bond-branded Hush Puppies with vibrating soles to achieve the same effect (this story will be confirmed on April 1st)😁. However, they were the first car manufacturer to fit a breakdown warning triangle to their cars...