Rear Trunnions

Rick2112

Evening

Anyone have any experience of fitting Superflex red poly bushes in the rear trunnions (Spit MkIV)?

I've had a set kicking around for a while now and just decided to fit whilst the spring is away being reset. The outer and inner shims + small rubber seals are all a bit worse for wear and I'll need to replace - however it looks like I will have to buy a full rear trunnion kit as these items don't appear to be sold individually (and just discard the nylon bushes).

Questions are

1.  do I need the small rubber seals with the new polybushes as they look to have a wider rim then the original nylon ones - doesn't appear to be any space for the rubber seals?
  2. The repair operation manual says to fill the space between the 2 'nylon' bushes with grease before inserting the rubber seal and distance tube. Can I assume I don't need to do this with the poly bushes - or is there something else I should be using as lubrication (apart from the assembly paste that comes with the bushes)

Rick

Cheers Pete

Not sure they sell the cups individually any more so I'll buy a trunnion kit - not that much.

As the rubber seals won't fit with the new poly bushes I'll assume they are not required (not much choice really)

worst case I just switch back to nylon as I'll have all the bits

Rick

I've given up with the red polybushes - such a tight fit with the cup washers they wont fit into the gap in the vertical link uprights. Only way I can get them to fit is by removing the rear half of the cup washer - which leaves them open to dirt ingress I would imagine.

Nylon bushes are going in like a dream - so they can stay there until I've spoken to Canleys/Superflex. I know Canleys are not an advocate of this 'upgrade' as they see no real point in using poly over nylon. It's got me wondering whether the rear trunnion polybushes are actually designed to fit using just the bushes by themselves and without any cup washers??

Just a thought.

Anyhow I'll post what I find out for ref

Rick