Vitesse Mk2 Inner drive shaft seals.

Phil C

Afternoon All

As part of my ongoing Vitesse restoration I replaced the inner driveshaft seals last year and have not really paid much attention to them since.

However, I have just noticed a slight oil drip from each. Inspection would suggest it is coming from behind the retaining plate rather than along the shaft, i.e. perhaps not the new seals?

It seems odd there is no gasket for the retaining plate as it is my understanding that it does have to retain oil.

Am I missing something here or is it a case of copious use of sealant?

Thanks in advance for any help 

Phil

yes they just rely on the machined metal to metal faces sealing so obviously they must be perfectly clean and undamaged when assembled plus the use of a sealant will help although no benefit in it being copious. First port of call is to check that the allen screws are correctly tight still....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, johny said:

its possible over the years that the seal plates have been levered

This did cross my mind too. I have checked them visually with a straight edge and they appear ok - but this has limited accuracy.

I will re-clean all surfaces and try the 574 and see how we get on. Would like to conclude before the rear tub goes back on as working access is currently at its best!! 😁

Thanks all for your help 👍

On 15/09/2021 at 09:23, Pete Lewis said:

..........its pricey

😱 certainly is! And impossible to find locally. Ebay to the rescue (again)

All thoroughly cleaned, 574 applied and re-assembled. Oil replenished and fingers crossed.

Colin, compared to yours I think mine are pretty flat 🙄

4 minutes ago, Phil C said:

I think mine are pretty flat

think Colin was on a BENDER   !!!

use 574 quite sparingly  it sets solid when air is expelled   Im sure you will find it works really well and once set might  not need the bolts it does GRIP 

removal can need a good pry

its good for sealing threads as well 

Pete

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

think Colin was on a BENDER   !!!

A bit hammer. I mean a really big hammer. The bearing just would not shift off the halfshaft, so I protected the splines and battered away. Once I realised that one corner had bent and the seal was beyond reuse I gave it full Laldy and put some manners into it.