Strange noise

Paul Amey

I've fitted a  non overdrive gearbox to my Vitesse 2 litre mk1 and a Hi Torque RAC 101 starter motor minus the spacer . When I turn the engine over by hand there is a noise which sounds like the ring gear on the flywheel catching some thing. This noise is still there with the clutch depressed. Any ideas, before I take the starter motor off again and possible the box back out? Thanks.

Paul.

Right, thanks. Now I understand. When I bought the car it started on a starter motor. This unit had no spacer or shim on it. It had a very thick body however. So I had no idea that a spacer or shim existed. Since then I have obtained what turns out to be a shim. But I have no spacer.

Paul

Just pinched two pictures off the Net: the spacer is the big thick alloy bit with the two mounting holes; the shims are thinner metal versions used to bulk out the space. If you have the spacer fitted, but still meshing teeth, (and to be honest if it was me I'd have the starter out to check for shiny damage on the gear) then a few shims might be enough. Here's the link to those:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324495429522?hash=item4b8d6f4f92:g:Yc0AAOSwJTddHbcK

s-l500-4.jpg.b5ffd54cf3d63531f866415b7c6dd417.jpg  s-l1600.jpg.bd4f593953e8a1b4abf0c7d29cf391dd.jpg

1 minute ago, Paul Amey said:

For the record, the old starter motor is made by Lucas. I have just given it a good examination (Hammer included) there is no spacer stuck on it. Thanks Pete, I will have a look on ebay. Steve P, I have an idea how you found out lol.

How about a pic of the old starter ? 
Paul

I've ordered a spacer on ebay, thanks everyone for your help. Without this forum I would have been scratching my head for a lot longer. Bear with me Paul H whilst I work out how to do that! (put photo on here).  So, just to clarify, with the Hi Torque starter motor, I need the spacer but leave the shim off?

17 minutes ago, Paul Amey said:

So, just to clarify, with the Hi Torque starter motor, I need the spacer but leave the shim off?

To be short, you need what you need! It can differ between starters so you need to check yours. Have a look at how the starter fits and where the teeth are in relation to the flywheel, both with spacer fitted and without. Some need a full-sized spacer, others find that with a spacer the teeth will not move far enough forward to engage, so they might be good without or maybe need a shim or two to give the optimum spacing. With the starter out, measure the distance from the engine backplate to the flywheel teeth, then compare that measurement on your starter from the face of the body or spacer to end of drive gear, it'll help you see what room you have to work with. If you can see any trace of damage to the starter teeth it'll let you know what is hitting and by how much it needs to be adjusted.