Late Spitfire indicator switch

cliff.b

3 hours ago, NonMember said:

I'd expect the indicator stalk to swap sides on LHD, which wouldn't make a difference to the early type but I think the late type stalk is bent, so it would need to be bent the other way? Just a guess.

If it is on the other side then that makes sense but why would it need to be? 

Because the controls ought to swap sides with RHD/LHD so that the indicators are available to the hand that isn't operating the gearstick. Admittedly most car makers these days can't be arsed with doing that properly and just build all their RHD cars with LHD controls, but Triumph weren't that lazy. (Actually, I think some of the Japanese car makers still put the indicators on the right in their home market.)

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

Because the controls ought to swap sides with RHD/LHD so that the indicators are available to the hand that isn't operating the gearstick. Admittedly most car makers these days can't be arsed with doing that properly and just build all their RHD cars with LHD controls, but Triumph weren't that lazy. (Actually, I think some of the Japanese car makers still put the indicators on the right in their home market.)

Yes, makes sense. 

Ah! Yes BUT the Japanese still drive on the left as do we. One of few countries world wide that still do, BTW. Those that do are largely former British Colonies, and islands Eg Malta. Majority of OLD british Motorcycles had the gear change on the right side too.

Pete

1 minute ago, Peter Truman said:

Hey we’re kosha too, basically those living island who can remain isolated from the hoarding mobs & can remain RHD.

So I Think Is New Zealand?. As well as many of the Carribean Islands that had been Brit; colonies back in the day. Now that can be "fun" island hopping, If it was a French (or Spanish) colony, your on the Left.

Pete

Vendors of the LHD switches claim they can be used to replace a RHD version by using the metal plate from the old switch. Looking at pictures of both it appears the only difference is the position of the mounting holes for the wiper/washer switch.

So, has anyone done this and if so, did all go to plan.

Or, I'm wondering if I got a LHD wiper switch as well, could I fit both and make the switch layout the same as all the modern cars I drive, thus avoiding frequent unplanned use of the wipers when approaching a junction lol

21 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Now whats not to like, seeing those wipers very slowly sweep across and you panic as the junction looms near and the person behind almost swipes you and bibs the horn and gives you the two finger salute. 😉

Ha ha, sounds like you have done that as well lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Only a small point, but I think there's a problem with the decal on the cowl, I vaguely recall having to source a mirror image one. 

Turn this upside down and it still points the same way.

decal.PNG.f2a60b321a6a6279902428ae6e3f3e8e.PNG

Doug

Think I could live with that, lol.

I might not need a new switch now, anyway.

Dismantled the old one and cleaned it all while still on the car. Unfortunately, during reassembly, while holding 2 springs compressed, my finger slipped and one of these little white plastic pieces flew away over my head.

IMG_20210918_162028_915.thumb.jpg.6d9a8a05fabe03e023794876c85f7dc6.jpg

As expected, I couldn't find it but continued putting it back together after which it worked, but the indicator switch didn't latch.

Today, I went to open the boot a Tesco's & found the tiny part stuck to the side of the petrol filler cap. But the cap wasn't noticeably sticky and I had taken the car out twice since the part disappeared, covering about 20 miles.

Very strange, but having found it, I will try stripping down again and including it this time. With that amount of luck I have high hopes 👍

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

You can use the LHD switch and swap it over to RHD - I did it, but can't remember what I did to get the arrows to be right - may have swapped the arm itself.

That doesn't concern me too much. I don't think I have ever actually looked at the arrows when deciding which way to move the stalk lol.