Pedal positions. Modern V Herald/Spit

Jeffds1360

Do you ever get in your modern and press the brake to de-clutch???

I'm so used to sitting twisted to the right ! :)

Then again, the opposite when jumping in the Triumph after running the modern..... were the hell has the clutch pedal gone, whilst blipping the brake :( 

Still found nothing to do on Plum..... oh ! I fitted an 'overdrive' badge as it has Toledo box+o/d :)

Bored bored bored

12 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

I'd have to sit on my left foot if I ever drove an auto! 

I really hope I never have to. :)

You just park your left foot in the footwell and forget it`s there!. 90%+ of American Cars are auto`s. all 3 of my U-S R-V`s where auto`s. I used to take an Auto to work on one ocasion, and then spend all day driving a Scania Truck with 4 over 4 transfer box with Split rear Axle. Effectively 16 gears!. That gives your left leg a workout!. And then there are Tracked Vehicles!.

Pete

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

I'd have to sit on my left foot if I ever drove an auto! 

I really hope I never have to. :)

Funnily enough it doesn’t bother me. I jump from my auto to a manual and back and never have to think about the leg. 
left hand drive cars are the same. Only driven a few and only one in the U.K.  but just do it. Biggest issue i had was when I drove a hire car in Spain when I was about 21 or 22. Kept driving in the gutter for the first hour or so because I was trying to drive on the right hand side of the road forgetting that there was another 4 or 5 feet of car to my right. 🤣

learnt to drive in auto cars as a teenager in late 50's ie family cars, and in Aus from 74 my own family and works cars have all been auto (30 works cars in 27 years renewal policy 45000klm), I've  left foot braked from day one of driving auto's but when driving my own manuals it's never been a problem then left is clutch and right acc and brake both together usually.

It's only lately that any confusion has set in and its not me its the new bl***y modern Mazda it doesn't like the brake and accelerator being operated together, beeping and flashing of the LCD dashboard it goes mad!! I'm dammed if I'll change my style, ie brake into the corner whilst covering the accelerator & power on, or slightly depressed throttle whilst holding the car on the brake for a fast lights get away!   

7 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

learnt to drive in auto cars as a teenager in late 50's ie family cars, and in Aus from 74 my own family and works cars have all been auto (30 works cars in 27 years renewal policy 45000klm), I've  left foot braked from day one of driving auto's but when driving my own manuals it's never been a problem then left is clutch and right acc and brake both together usually.

It's only lately that any confusion has set in and its not me its the new bl***y modern Mazda it doesn't like the brake and accelerator being operated together, beeping and flashing of the LCD dashboard it goes mad!! I'm dammed if I'll change my style, ie brake into the corner whilst covering the accelerator & power on, or slightly depressed throttle whilst holding the car on the brake for a fast lights get away!   

Yeah that confuses the ECU - used to put the Disco into fault mode. Never found the need to left foot brake to be honest. Hand brake was handy at times - though don't try it with an EPB in a Land Rover or Range Rover.🤣

One thing "Rally" driving teaches is respect for road conditions, and in the days before ABS and 4WD we soon learned cadence braking and power aplication. It was that or serial Tree hugging!. Even then never had reason to use the brake with the left foot. Heal and Toe a lot though.

I did have a few company cars that I had to be careful not to drive in working boots, embarrasing when you brake and the engine rev`s it`s guts out at traffic lights, If I remember correct the Vittesse pedals where quite close together as well as offset?.

Pete

Back in the early 90s I had a Rover 213s, the Honda-engine version, and it was a great car, but I suspected the brakes were sticking. One night on the way to work I decided to lift the brake pedal up with my left foot to see if this released anything. Unfortunately I hit the pedal with my left foot whilst getting it in under, the nose of the car dipped, I panicked and put my feet on clutch and brake, except it was one pedal too far over and so was brake and accelerator. I'm standing on both brake and accelerator, the clutch is still out and the engine is fighting the brakes. I've no idea of what damage it did to the car but the damage to my nerves stayed with me for some time.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, PeteH said:

Scania Truck with 4 over 4 transfer box with Split rear Axle. Effectively 16 gears!.

reminds me when the Magnum came into our testing for the UK 4 over  4 with range change and splitter  18 gears 

but that was like driving a double decker from the upstairs     i remember a low bridge Oops  watching the pigeons thro the sun roof   

think we have all done the sit on you left leg auto a customisation course 

Pete

• Like 1