Hard top courtesy light wiring

Jeffds1360

Hi all. I have a spare (vinyl coated, very posh) hard top with 'illumination' !

I've worked out that the bulb holder should be wired 'live' and the switch side earthed. (I think) so.....it has two wires though the lining and down to near the B post.

I guess one to be permanent live and one to the door switch but how do I earth it so I can switch it on with the doors shut?

My little neurons are not running about as they should!

Serious problem this... I so often sit in the car in the dark and need to read or find my way out :)

16319739392032988242089956060683.jpg

16319740225088832518300784293146.jpg

Edited by Jeffds1360
Add photos

Jeff,

The door switches are held open circuit when the doors are closed, when the doors open they go to ground. The interior light switch is wired in parallel with the door switches so that when any one of them is activated the lights light.

This if off a GT6 diagram so includes rear hatch and ignition key lamp.

Why not wire in some footwell lights?

curtesylight.PNG.57cd5a1109b6e7215d910e2549dadf9f.PNG

Doug 

Thanks Doug, yes, I have the wiring diagrams available but am confused by the 2 wires only to the light in the roof.

One live and one earthed via the light switch to the door switch to earth. The query I have relates to putting the light on, via it's own switch when the doors are shut.

Surely it needs a 3rd wire to earth off it's own internal switch. It has 3 spade connecters.

I can't insert another wire and need to use one wire twice but am confused (as usual) how to do this!! ?? :)

Jeff,

Oh, right you have an on/off switch on the light! I didn't see that.  Mine has a switch on the dashboard which is in parallel with the door switches so my roof light only needs two wires. I think you're going to have to do it like mine or run a separate earth. Or is the roof metal? You could earth to that if it is?

Doug