TR6 A type O/D from 2000 Saloon

ahebron

A good friend of mine has his third TR6 which is actually his first one that he has bought back and rebuilt the bodywork.
During its absence from him it has been converted to 2.7 litres and other racing bits and bobs, it is still PI
In his quest to convert it to a fast road car he purchased an overdrive box that was sold as suitable  for a TR6, this was few years ago.
Deciding to fit it during our latest lockdown he fitted it to the car and filled it with oil which proceeded to leak out from various points.
Onto the computer and order some gaskets and seals from Rimmers and wait for them to cross the world for delivery.
Parts arrive and gearbox removal and stripdown are undertaken, then I got a phone call asking me about Type A overdrives.
I wasnt very helpful but Google was
It appears that overdrive is from a Triumph 2000 saloon which has 4 springs in the overdrive clutch versus the Triumph 2500/TR6 that has 8 springs.
I passed this onto my miffed friend and said I would ask about this around the forums.

I will assume that a 2000 saloon overdrive Type A would be fine for a 2500 or normal tune TR6 but with this having a big bore engine the torque might be a bit much. But what do the forum think?
The suck it and see approach could be a painful experience as it would involve removing and dismantling the gearbox again.
Is it possible to upgrade the 4 springs to stronger items or does he have to bite the bullet and buy an 8 spring peg ring and the springs.
Sometimes our Triumphs keep on wanting to be tragedies.

Adrian

My 1970 CP series TR6 has an A type overdrive, which has worked fine during about 15 years ownership.  I can't comment on differences in numbers of springs, hadn't heard that before.

Something to watch out for is the gearbox/overdrive breather. Some applications have a breather hole at the front of the gearbox top cover,  others have a brass breather fitting on the overdrive casing. When mixing and matching gearboxes and overdrive, it's possible to end up with no breather,  inevitably resulting in oil leakage. 

Nigel