Old car, new face.

Ian Smith

Hello folks, I'm new here. if I can, may I ask some questions of the collective?

I've just bought a GT6 rolling chassis, via that well-known action site. It has a chassis number, and I 'think', the original engine. (Well, possibly, anyway). Naturally, I'd like to chase down the original history, where possible.  I've an idea that the previous owner(s) started with the best intentions, but couldn't, or haven't, been able to continue. 

Chassis number:- FC 214371

Engine:-  KD 799071

First impressions appear that the major parts of the chassis are pretty good, but we shall see. 

Any information will be gratefully received.

many thanks,

Ian.

Where was the "chassis" number? Because these cars use a "commission" number on an aluminium plate on the bodytub, just ahead of the passenger door.

As to the FC chassis number, I don't think there are any records of chassis numbers at all. Only commission numbers, which are linked to the cars identity.

Ian,

From this:

Triumph Spitfire and GT6 Engine Numbers

Engine number prefix KD i is from a GT6 mk1 or 2. Compression ratio 9.25:1 

And from this: 

GT6 Commission Numbers – Triumph Owners Club Christchurch (triumphclub.co.nz)

KD was used exclusively on the GT6 plus in the USA, so an import. 

Do you have a V5? You can apply for a Heritage Certificate and get a lot of info.

Doug

• Thanks 1

Cheers folks, what a lot of information.  LHD, eh?  Not to worry, we can soon fix that.... I should emphasise that this is still day 1 on the project, so I'm still 'fumbling in the dark'.  GT6+? Not heard of that before. Still, I don't mind the adventure.

More posts later, hopefully.

Cheers,

Ian.

1 hour ago, Ian Smith said:

Hello Clive, thanks for the reply. The chassis  very definitely has a chassis number, on a strip of steel. Hmm.... More investigation, methinks.

Cheers,

Ian 

I suspect that is just the chassis number. Do a google search, and I found a USA enquiry with a chassis number similar to yours for a GT6. But as above, no records kept anywhere for them. The identity is entirely tied to the commission number (often wrongly referred to as the chassis number)

So take it for what it is, a rotoflex rolling chassis with a US engine (can be sorted to similar specification to UK unless one of the heads with the odd port spacing).

You need a tub etc, so you just need to find one with an identity (obviously with a chassis, even if that is just some rusty bits of metal, to keep it all legitimate) otherwise you will be looking at the difficult/arduous task of registering a "built up classic" which is best avoided. 

• Thanks 1

Ian,

Can you post some images of the chassis, maybe, say, four and someone on here will be able to tell you if it’s complete. Also, images of any area that you think maybe “dodgy” and, again, there’ll be someone who know what’s what.

Good luck with the rebuild!

• Thanks 1

looking at the listing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Gt6-Spitfire-Chassis-Engine-And-Running-Gear-/144142462353?hash=item218f8f6d91%3Ag%3Awc0AAOSwFAJhDSiG&nma=true&si=juZtphxQ%2FR93%2FUZZuahdbmdT4Cc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It's a GT6MK3 chassis and running gear.

It's got a RHD steering rack

The remains of the bonnet that went with it is a USA spec MK3 bonnet.

The metal plate that is on the left hand outrigger is the "number of the chassis" and is absolutely meaningless - it is definately NOT the "Chassis Number" .  You must NEVER ever ever ever mention this number in any correspondence with the DVLA, it will totally confuse them and make it almost impossible to register.  Many people have fallen foul of this in the past.

Hopefully you will be able to find the V5c for it ;)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ian Smith said:

Thanks for the replies, folks. V5C arrived this AM. Back to school for me!

Glad to see you got it safely. I'm still waiting on mine which was applied for August 26th, unfortunately I did it by post rather than online, so can neither tax the Herald nor declare SORN. Called at the closest Post Office this morning and they couldn't do it either.