Which Distributor do I need?

Wagger

My Vitesse has a 2500TC engine without a Tachometer output adaptor. I would guess that the timing and advance are not the same as the 2000cc engine. Therefore, which distributor would be the best match? The tacho works if I wind it with a handbrace.

Engine runs very nicely, so, if there is not a suitable one, I will investigate buiilding an electronic one into the existing case.

Is there such an animal already in circulation?

It's late and the brain just goes into compulsive lateral mode.

Dogs want their 'Nightly' pre bedtime treat. So do I.

The saloons used an electronic tacho. But the face is a bit more modern. 

You could use a mk2 vitesse or even late TR6 distributor. A bit of research will show which is the nearest match.

But do remember that after 50 years, distributors will have worn, springs stretched etc (my TR7 one was horrendous, only gave 10 degrees advance it was that worn, managed to buy a few new bits and played with springs to get something close to factory advance). And that is before we mention fuel is far removed from the 5 star they ran on when new. 

I know of one brand new distributer, sold by the club shop but probably all the same source, that ran so badly despite being set up correctly as it had a terrible advance curve, miles out. It was returned, but never did find out if another was tried. So beware the new distributers, unless supplied by somebody who can guarantee the advance curve, eg "the distributer doctor"

Thanks Clive. Sounds like all of the same problems as I had with a relative's Morris Minor in 2002. Eventually, I just 'Peaked it up' at 3000 rpm for maximum revs with the throttle 'Clamped'.

Checked it at 2000 and 4000 and marked it. It ran well and was very economical. (1098 A series).

I used the same procedure on a BMW 2500 with their 'Big Six' SOHC. It ran like a dream on ordinary unleaded and once returned 29 mpg. That had max torque at 3750  rpm, similar to the 2500TC.

Modern fuels are nothing like the old five star (and Cleveland Discol). I used Tetra-ethyl-lead in the 1990's'. Can't buy it now and AVGAS is very difficult to obtain. That is why I sold my BMW2002tii. What an enjoyable 'Animal' that was. The cabrios (Full cabrios only sold in Germany converted by Baur) were inspired by the Vitesse. 

13 hours ago, Wagger said:

Engine runs very nicely, so, if there is not a suitable one, I will investigate buiilding an electronic one into the existing case.

Is there such an animal already in circulation?

I rebuilt one a few years back using a GT6 face onto a Jaguar body; the Jag was a six-cylinder tacho and as my 123 electronic distributor had no mechanical drive I thought it was worth a try. It did work (it's still in a drawer somewhere) and I reckon the biggest problem was sticking the GT6 needle on straight, although the face required different mounting holes to suit the Jag innards.

jaguar.JPG.cb81f223f218b62834077fdcfd84789b.JPG  finished.JPG.fe6cc840682f650c271854a928408a32.JPG

DSCF0070.JPG.970f2abf3e21d2a9a6d890c409deb227.JPG