Spit 1500 Oil Filter Adapter, Why?

Peter Truman

I've seen this Spit 1500 Oil Filter Adapter advertised on ebay frequently tho' I think USA predominately.

What's it purpose and why was a remote adapter reqd over the straight screw into the block filter that's the normal arrangement. Was it to do with LHD and the steering shaft alignment and clearance going thro the turrent.

I'm just curious?

Spit 1500 Remote Filter Adapter.jpg

Remote Filter Pic2.jpg

Pete So t's a must have! for us oldens, there again its just more to clean when you finally remove the filter and that warm black stuff drains everywhere.

Ref the bolt at the back it would be very good for priming the system after an oil change, something that was VERY problematic for one member.

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Ive got a spin on on the 2000 cant grip it from above and cant reach it from below 

creak groan    ..........theres no hope !!!

Try the Freelander which requires a 34mm long reach tiltable spanner and will undo the filter one ratchet click at a time... while the oil pours down round you as it can only be done from below, then you need tentacles to get your hand into the gap between block and radiator to reach the housing.

Pete    thats correct  

got the shirts to prove it  ha 

my first car a side valve mk5 never had a filter you could add a bypass filter if you were desperate 

but that has washers under the valve springs and a talbot race head  she could pull 7k in 3rd and tear crownwheel bolts and halfshafts 

a frequent  failing till a crown popped off   number 3 one night  happy days 

Pete

On 27/09/2021 at 11:15, Pete Lewis said:

No thats because thats  what it   says in the service manual ( as it does for most of the models we have ) 

not that i wouldnt change the filter as a matter of course 

pete

I do my three every second time Pete, mainly as the oil that comes out is still clean.

Tony.

for the mileages and light use many cars  get    if it looks clean  it probably is and will do another season so save the planet  

change it when its nice and black 

there was a  guy developed a filter bit like  bog roll  which filtered all the harmfulls out and clean oil left the filter for another day 

might have been on Tomorrows World  think it failed as it was bought up and closed down by the oil companies  

Pete