Spitfire MK3........spitting!!!

MSZ

7 hours ago, Paul H said:

Have you checked the Powerspark , same as Accuspark unit . Check the magnet is not too close to the electronic unit and the bottom of the rotor arm is not clipping the electronic unit . A giveaway is black dust particles when you remove the dissy cap . Lastly check the rotor arm has no fractures 

Paul

Paul all checked and fine mate

No I haven’t yet……..especially with all the petrol pump faff going on. 
After I’m happy that the ignition element is in order I’ll move to check over for air leaks and then fuel. I replaced the fuel filter. 
The thing is, it starts and runs/ticks over lovely, when I gradually depress the accelerator all the way to around 4000rpm no misfires only happens when I blip the accelerator erratically. Driving out of my driveway and up the road under acceleration it pops, misfires and holds back, as if someone is depressing the brake!!! 
hopefully in the next few days I can start eliminating possible causes.

mike

17 minutes ago, DanMi said:

sounds like stale fuel to me or at least those are very similar to the symptoms that my car had after lockdown, and is any easy fix (well not at the moment!)

To be honest what you’re say is an easy fix, I could drain the fuel and use it in lawnmower…….then just try and get hold of fresh fuel 🤔

Adding a two penny worth, have you got a colour tune spark plug ? Worth checking Mixture as a sooty plug is a rich mixture and best way to set it is with a colour tune in my experience ( the other ways are not as reliable ) and you can see what happens as you rev the engine and at all speeds as you gradually increase the range. You can also see if your burning oil in the mixture.  Failing that just change the plugs first and see what happens, good luck.

13 minutes ago, alan.gilbert_6384 said:

Adding a two penny worth, have you got a colour tune spark plug ? Worth checking Mixture as a sooty plug is a rich mixture and best way to set it is with a colour tune in my experience ( the other ways are not as reliable ) and you can see what happens as you rev the engine and at all speeds as you gradually increase the range. You can also see if your burning oil in the mixture.  Failing that just change the plugs first and see what happens, good luck.

Yes I have a colourtune and used it once or twice but unless you have perfect carburettors it is quite erratic in producing accurate results

Finally!!

Thought Id check in and let you guys know the problem. I swapped the the coil with  a known coil that works, the problem still persists.............................................

BUT, when replacing with my original coil, I noticed that there was a frayed bare wire protruding through the wiring loom that goes to/from the solenoid. This bare frayed wire was touching the bulkhead panel to which both the solenoid and coil are fixed to. (see pic) I part stripped the loom to expose the wire (which wasn't connected to anything) and decided to cut it cleanly and used a combination of liquid electrical tape and electrical insulating tape at its termination point. I can only think that this cable could of fed some accessory at some point and was abandoned. Everything put back together and fired the car up - BINGO, no misfire, no backfire.....in fact it ticked over nicely and even at 900rpm. I checked that all was firing nicely with Accuspark plug check and they all ran evenly like a Xmas tree (see pic).Took it for a spin and it goes like a rocket!!!.....no hesitation just nicely and strongly. Going to drive it around for a while as i missed the summer and check the mixture before putting it to bed for winter.

Id like to thank everybody and their suggestions to help solve my dilemma, which now is solved.

Many thanks Mike

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg