Grease gun

Iain T

All hail, The Pumpinator! £45 from the Club Shop + £10 for the flexible connector, which you have to buy because the pump is TOO big to manoeuvre onto the trunnion oil nipple on it's own! :angry:  

SL380700.thumb.JPG.fb15782ebb87974b16b301b71bc29b93.JPG

Most people go for a 2nd hand Wanner off EBay, Swiss made and a good piece of kit. Wish someone had told me. 

Doug

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Iain T said:

I take it a used wanner is as good if not better than a new nameless version? I like the idea of reusing old stuff instead of buying new from China! 

Hi Iain,

the Wanner is the RollsRoyce of grease guns.  Even if it did not work it would still be better than the rest.

You'll never regret having a Wanner.

Roger

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

After my disastrous pumpinator purchase I bought a Wanner only to find half the innards missing. Spare parts are more than a new one, so I'm stuck with Mr P.

Doug

Have dismantled, cleaned and replaced the O rings for several wanners, and made a replacement floating piston from a piece of bar and rubber washers. Time and money probably cost more than a replacement as recently bought two for five pounds at an auto jumble.

But then with retirement and covid how much is time?, but I might have a problem.

Regards

Paul

IMG_20210927_122725.jpg

• Haha 1

why do you need a grease gun for ep90 gear oil. The only thing that needs high pressure to get the oil through is the grease nipple so just take it out and put oil in with a bog standard oil can until it flows out from the seal, absolutely no need for any flashy high pressure gizmos unless you are trying to push old grease out in which case you need to strip and clean properly. So just have 1 grease gun for rear hubs and steering and then a cheap trigger oil can filled with ep90 for the trunnions.

Just been reading the two schools of thought re oil or cv/lm grease for trunnions. If I have grease in them the only way to effectively oil them is to strip down and clean. Not sure if I want to do that or just pump more cv grease in. 

How easy is it to remove the trunnion? 

Iain 

I use a grease gun with EP90, just as easy as using an oil can.

3 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Just been reading the two schools of thought re oil or cv/lm grease for trunnions. If I have grease in them the only way to effectively oil them is to strip down and clean. Not sure if I want to do that or just pump more cv grease in. 

How easy is it to remove the trunnion? 

Iain 

The first time I oiled the ones on my 13/60 grease came out of the trunnions. The po had obviously greased not oiled them.

32 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Iain,

It's an easy job to get the trunnion off, or it should be!

Biggest problem is removing the brake disc shield, which makes a simple job slightly more complicated. The trunnion can't spin 100 degrees with it on, and it's bothersome taking off the nuts etc to get the shield off to check the trunnion / vertical link. 

there is some advantage if the things have been greased  in the gun will aid flushing the grease out where as a pump can oiling from the top just tops up 

these are oil bath lubricated  grease will not work ,  a sloppy cv grease may be some compromise but   oil bath is the basic design for trunnion lubrication

pete

• Thanks 1

yes hanging upsets the best settings  so if lifted  chock/ jack block  the wheels up to a near running position 

discon a HB clevis    wind the adjuster to  really  hard lock the drum , now recon the cable to a nice fit , then de adjust the shoes to free the drum   around 4 clicks  ( on the manaul adjuster )

bear in mind if the cyl doesnt slide this will fake the lock up you need to achieve  

especially  a worn grooved back plate HB  lever pivot point 

and it keeps tipping it down here 

Pete

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

About time i stated publicly on this subject

It's good to share with friends! 

Diff oil ok, nice red Redline dribbled out after just a couple of squirts.

Didn't check the gearbox, I can do that from inside. 

This is my rear brake setup. There is a square adjuster at the back which seems to be on a small cam as it keeps springing back. Is this a manual or self adjusting mechanism?