Herald 13/60 oil leak query

Andrew

Hello knowledgeable people. I have a late 13/60 Herald. Just noticed a pool of oil under my car I have traced it to what looks like a plug just under the oil filter.  Not sure if it is a plug but that is the best way I can describe it.  Can it be tightened and or is there a seal that need replacing.  

Thank you in advance

there are a number of oil gallery plugs along there (1/2 inch spanner maybe 9/16) as well as the large oil pressure release valve, all have copper washers that may need replacing. All are high pressure so I would replace the copper washer rather than just trying tightening

While there is a big hex head oil pressure relief valve down near there, it's below the distributor, not the oil filter. The "number of oil gallery plugs" which may, possibly, have 1/2" hex heads (but are more likely not) are along the engine roughly level with the filter.

There is one plug directly below the filter, though. It's a big one with an allen key head (hex recess, not for a spanner). It's also a taper-thread grub screw type, no copper washer.

55 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Can it be tightened and or is there a seal that need replacing.

It may be possible to tighten it. If it's the one I think then there's no seal as such, but taking it out and applying some PTFE tape before refitting should help. What would really help us, though, would be if you could post a photo of the plug in question.

Hi I know the big hex oil relief valve is but this is definitely the plug under the oil filter with an Allen key hole. That is where the leak is.  Also why is there a Allen key hole not just a normal blanking plug type as there is on other plugs on the engine 

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Hi I know the big hex oil relief valve is but this is definitely the plug under the oil filter with an Allen key hole. That is where the leak is.  Also why is there a Allen key hole not just a normal blanking plug type as there is on other plugs on the engine 

Not all plugs, some where indeed made with a Hex Key  fitting. They where generally used where a "Head" would have fouled some other part, (more expensive to make). Most of the ones I came across where Tapered, a few turns of PTFE should seal it. Some where shouldered (this could be?) and need a Washer (Fibre or Copper) under the shoulder.

image.png.eb60650cd9ad82342a6d267f6188247c.png

Pete