UK gone mad

Ian Faulds

1 hour ago, Steve P said:

Seen a video today of someone at a Tesco station filling their food waste bin with Petrol.Jeez..

Darwin awards all round.

S

"He was a lovely man, just lived round the corner, always willing to help.... he came round just this morning to see if anyone needed petrol...."

FRONT-PIX-A-29-6-18.jpg.841c1b7fb30a6ded16236030410360b0.jpg

18 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Oh Lord wait until you see what the equivalent will be for EVs.

"I'm stockpiling in case the electricity goes off...."

OIP.8bBwcru-M7KBq1TppOT5IwHaFa.jpg.c04282c6720fe0e52cd278f62ad39ded.jpg

Tesla, ( I think) are one step ahead, One of the  "proposals" was that reundant/degraded Car batteries can be formed into "packs" for use in domestic "backup" situations?. I don`t know if it ever got off the ground though?.

Pete

29 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

fitting a large magnet to the side of the meter,

We`ve got digital meters, So the old Magnet trick, no longer works. Allegedly the position of the magnet was critical, as wrongly placed the BILL went up not down!. They are currently badgering me to have a "Smart" Meter fitted. Don`t know if they are a good thing or not?.

Pete

15 minutes ago, PeteH said:

They are currently badgering me to have a "Smart" Meter fitted. Don`t know if they are a good thing or not?.

Pete, we had one fitted free by EDF and it automatically sends usage data for your bill. This is a good function. The hand tablet widget screen that shows you data stopped working after a couple of weeks and we couldn't pair it again. It's in a drawer somewhere. 

Iain 

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Tesla, ( I think) are one step ahead, One of the  "proposals" was that reundant/degraded Car batteries can be formed into "packs" for use in domestic "backup" situations?. I don`t know if it ever got off the ground though?.

Tesla Wallbox: https://shop.tesla.com/de_de/product/gen-3-wall-connector

Already in the 3rd generation. In fact there was a report in the German press that recycling car batteries is difficult because they are constantly being re-used and hardly ever being "thrown away"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Smart meters are great for the power company.  It allows them to restrict your supply remotely when power is needed elsewhere. If you want to save money smart meter or not, just use less! Simples.

You can override this at anytime or decide not to even take part.

4 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Smart meters are great for the power company.  It allows them to restrict your supply remotely when power is needed elsewhere. If you want to save money smart meter or not, just use less! Simples.

Have heard most of the "conspiricy" type theories about them, They can be hacked, they shove your Broadband use up etc;. But not that one?. To restrict consumption it would I assume have to be done at the Sub Station?. Which they do anyway with "rolling outages".

Pete

I had one fitted, it was fun tracking down the miscreant power drains. Assorted chargers draw almost as much power when disconnected from the device they're charging as when attached. I knew that already, but the meter brought it home. The last trickle took me a while to find, the aerial amplifier in the loft! The SMs main purpose I think is so the companies can sack all the meter readers.

A month after I got the device I swapped supplier and the smart meter was not so smart, incompatible with the new system. :)

Doug

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PeteH said:

"Allegedly" the latest devices are now "industry wide compatability". (acording to the latest "mail shot" from my provider).

After  2 years with the new company they Emailed to say they can now read my SM remotely and I no longer have to read my own meters once a month. So they can now sack all their meter readers and pass the saving on to me? :)

10 minutes ago, Mathew said:

I bet you could have traced all that without a "smart meter".  Another white elephant along with your home packs ect

I could have, but it would have meant trapesing back and forth to the outside meters to check I'd found the power drain or not, plus standing in the cold watch the meter to see if it turned over. 

Doug

i have a brit gas unsmart series 1 dumb meter ,cant be used with my new supplier and getting on hands and knees with torch under the stairs is a right faf

the display is so dim you need a torch pen and paper as the display unit is dead ,  its a retrograde step even reading the things is push this button 

grab torch get pen   bum the display reverts to diddly squat, press again get torch  read meter try to remember before it switches out then write it down 

so you can e mail a reading every month     a right pain    and the digital old meter was only a few years old the smart one shows we use double the previous meters usage

so need to do a controlled test of known kw/hour to see what clicks up  ...thats back to torch pen and paper in the dark cupboard 

Progress i guess 

Pete

When I had the SM installed they swapped the gas meter, took 1/2 a day, cost me nothing. A month later, as said, I swapped supplier and they couldn't read the new meters remotely. Wasting money hand over fist. The SMs were originally supposed to be universal but they weren't and it was a cock up.

Doug

Ended up with smart meters to get a reduced unit charge rate, they made a big thing about it saving me money, small print user intervention required. I don't turn something on or turn it off saves me money omy I never realised that.

Customer thingamajig still in box and now they post me a monthly report as I refused online ones.

Regards

Paul.

I have an electric smart meter, it is very handy to point out when the wife is using the tumble dryer or any appliance, just how much it is costing.

I have saved money since installation because we can now see what is being used and we switch more things off than before :)

British Gas cannot connect a smart meter as we get our electricity from Eon...???

Gas did install a new meter however, I threw a wobbler when my (self calculated) consumption nearly tripled !!!

Then realised it was in cubic meters and not cubic feet and my decimal places had been ignored.... we still use the same amount of gas, nigh nicking

13 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

I have an electric smart meter, it is very handy to point out when the wife is using the tumble dryer or any appliance, just how much it is costing.

Scary, isn't it? I still have the old rotating meter and the wheel seems on the point of taking off sometimes.

I must admit to be a bit of a hypocrite on power wastage; always turning lights off and the TV that runs in an empty room, but leave my computers running so that they go to sleep but rarely switch off.