Trunnion removal

Iain T

I'm going to oil my trunnions but in the event I need/want to remove them what is the correct procedure? 

Presumably take the bolt out at the lower wishbone and knock out the steering track rod so the hub assembly can pivot out thereby unscrewing the trunnion? Are there any 'must do's'? 

Iain 

3 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You'll need to remove the brake disc shields if you have the later three-point type, the trunnion won't rotate otherwise.

If you undo the single bolt through the wishbone the vertical link should move sufficiently to allow you to unscrew the trunnion without having to touch the steering.

Thank Colin, good to know I don't have to touch the steering. As I've time on my hands and the car has had some iffy maintenance I'm inclined to remove the trunnions so I know its been done properly. 

I assume due the the coarseness of the thread the trunnion will only fit in one position? 

The trunnions are handed, so make sure you fit the correct side. It will say on the underside, or the side itself. There are differing schools of thought on how far to tighten them - if you tighten fully so that the rubber seal starts to distort they can be quite stiff; if you loosen by one turn they can seem quite low down on the threads and maybe more susceptible to snapping off. Remember that when fitted they only turn through a small arc so as long as that rotation is free they'll be fine. I also pre-oil them, and tighten them up full of oil with the oil nipple out of the vertical link; this forces oil upwards and out of the link so it only needs topped-up when they're finally fitted.

1319141843_pic6.jpg.b031f9809ec2bc3c3c9f8ecf09c50a58.jpg 1794745699_pic5.jpg.321a85eb518da14e7637cae753941576.jpg 1357608601_pic7.jpg.0ba7f701d91bd1fa84c7e8839d65bb19.jpg

26 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

if you tighten fully so that the rubber seal starts to distort they can be quite stiff

They can certainly feel stiff by hand but it's nothing in the context of steering loads. I usually find that tightening to that point then backing off only enough to fit on the wishbone is just right.

19 hours ago, johny said:

I take it youd remove them for a close inspection of the upright threads Iain? Worth doing for peace of mind and plenty on here about what to look for...

Correct and it increases my confidence in the car. After adjusting my brakes they are chalk and cheese plus I like doing it! 

Iain