Trunnion removal

Iain T

just read this thread and now for the reality, you slacken the lower shock bolt then take the nut off the trunnion bolt, try to remove the bolt but hey it is seized solid, so you try a hammer but no joy, you then spend a while contemplating and eventually try every hacksaw you have until you find one that can get at the bolt. Finally after a lot of swearing you have managed to cut through the bolt at both ends hopefully without damaging the trunnion or wishbone. Then finally reassembly, but then you realise you didn't buy a new bolt!

14 minutes ago, DanMi said:

just read this thread and now for the reality, you slacken the lower shock bolt then take the nut off the trunnion bolt, try to remove the bolt but hey it is seized solid, so you try a hammer but no joy, you then spend a while contemplating and eventually try every hacksaw you have until you find one that can get at the bolt. Finally after a lot of swearing you have managed to cut through the bolt at both ends hopefully without damaging the trunnion or wishbone. Then finally reassembly, but then you realise you didn't buy a new bolt!

I'm thinking you have experience of trunnion servicing....?!?

I'd rater buy the whole lot as delivery charges cost more than some of the parts. 

I might drive the car to where I used to work as I'll then have use of a full workshop. 

Iain 

I've ordered the Supaflex kit, bolts, top caps etc from Paddocks. So with the Supaflex I don't need to refit the dust shields? The procedure is to only fit the two bushes and spacer tube then bolt the assy onto the wishbone? 

Iain 

10 minutes ago, Iain T said:

I've ordered the Supaflex kit, bolts, top caps etc from Paddocks. So with the Supaflex I don't need to refit the dust shields? The procedure is to only fit the two bushes and spacer tube then bolt the assy onto the wishbone? 

Iain 

Yes, it's so simple it's a wonder they never did it before... :)

1 minute ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Yes, it's so simple it's a wonder they never did it before... :)

I like simple! 

By the way Colin my first born grease gun has been christened😇. Gave my steering a good grease and he seems potty trained already🤣

??? 

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

I like simple! 

By the way Colin my first born grease gun has been christened😇. Gave my steering a good grease and he seems potty trained already🤣

??? 

I suppose I should really feel flattered... although any of the reasons I can think of, to associate me with a grease gun, cannot be posted here for fear of mods... :)

I'll just post a photo of my poly trunnions in situ, instead.

DSCF1022.jpg.53618dbc559bc15b2d548de5c840709f.jpg

4 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'll just post a photo of my poly trunnions in situ, instead.

Thanks you have a photo for every part! 

I'll buy some EP90 on Tuesday as I'll be passing Halfords and by then the other Wanner should have arrived. 

Iain 

I've just picked up on this post. Nice to see something related to the cars and not 'politicised etc etc

Sorry to be so ignorant but does this relate to rear trunnions as well?

No need for rubber rings and steel covers?

The seem to be 3x? the price but as I am on holiday at the moment,  I haven't time to flick back and re read all.

Thanks for any input

Jeff

23 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

holiday at the moment, 

I'm going on holiday in two weeks, our second stop La, Palma🌋

I agree there's been far too much politics on the Forum. As to rears I'll leave that to the more experienced members! 

The second Wanner gun arrived yesterday, good condition and £13 incl p&p, so I oiled the trunnions today. I lightly smeared petroleum jelly on the canister inside wall to try and seal in the EP90 and works a treat oil squidging out of the top and bottom of the trunnion. I also pumped some LM grease in the steering box

I've just been for a short drive and the difference in the steering is noticeable. Much smoother, I should have done this earlier! I'm leaving replacing the bushes for a winter project.

Downside is the 'scent' patches of EP90 on the floor.....

Iain