Disheartening Quandry

dellyend1

Hi All,

having had my Mk3 GT6 set up properly and it running really well, exploring a new fault has identified a crank float end beyond all tolerances and me not knowing having driven the car around.

I’ve been in touch with the garage I use who I absolutely trust and the bottom line that dependant on inspection of the engine it is going to need a partial to significant rebuild.

looking at hit through the head as opposed to heart lens , in a quandary as to whether to invest in the car which I would like to do or take the hit, put it down to experience and sell the car with the known engine fault and allow others to decide if they wish to take it on for a rebuild.

The car is complete and i have been doing it up over the last six months. Body work very good other than one small dent, chassis excellent. Body could do with a respray.

maths are :

owes me circa £11 k 

say allow £5K for engine rebuild

Quandary is , accepting it is an older car , there will always be things to do and with a limited pot of funds do I cut my losses? What’s peoples thoughts on values on a GT6 over all good (not concourse) condition with no running engine ? Would I be lucky to get £3 k or £5k or more of up for auction on normal e- auction sites ? 

just trying to work out if my desire to keep rational or do if I should accept I don’t have the ready funds to keep going 

many thanks 

jeremy

crank end float is not uncommon , before you dive into deep wallet syndrome , drop the sump 

not that easy on a 6 cyl but its possible  and remove the rear main brg cap  and examine yourself just what is wrong with the thrusts 

if the journal thrust face is in fair condition a new set of thrusts may well correct it for thousands of miles 

even if the location lugs on the bearing  cap have been contacted they can with care be welded back to provide a renewed stop,

thrust washers are quite cheap its worth a look before you get taken for a ride 

hint  dropping the sump can be a bit of a fiddle , you may need to drop the rack clamps and raise the block the extract the sump 

but lying on your back is cheap , 

Pete

You beat me again Lewis! :angry:

Jeremy,

When I bought my GT6 I discovered it had massive end float. So I tried new end float bearings. This can be done without engine removal. Disconnect the engine mount on one side jack up the engine and the sump can be wiggled out over the chassis rail. And there they are, the end float bearings. Worth trying compared to the cost of a re-build.

Sadly my bearings were so far gone that the bores and crank had badly worn and eventually the engine had to have a re-bore and re-grind. The accompanying symptoms were the oil needed changing every couple of months having turned black, sludgy and foul smelling. If your engine isn't having anything like that then you will likely get away with just changing the end floats.

Doug

Doug

How much endfloat? Are we talking 10 thou too much, or 1/4"

If the thrust washers (£10 or so a set) have just got worn, a new pair will sort it with a bit of effort, plus a sump gasket and a can of oil, about £40 all in.

If the thrusts have fallen out, yes, significantly more.

But 5K for an engine rebuild/fit? sounds more than a little excessive assuming a std build. Seek another opinion if unsure.

25 minutes ago, clive said:

But 5K for an engine rebuild/fit? sounds more than a little excessive assuming a std build. Seek another opinion if unsure.

Clive, you just beat me to it!! (Lot of that, round here...) That seems to be factoring in a quantity of what may be expensive garage hours, as well. Buying a completely reconditioned engine is far short of that.

Tony Fitchett is currently selling a complete GT6 MK3 engine, as new, for £2400

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114140258231?epid=4031356637&hash=item1a934a1fb7:g:hx4AAOSwEWNcpxym

Hi Jeremy,

Firstly are you capable of doing engine work?

If not get your trusted garage to have a look to see the extent of the damage- there is wear and there is worn out !!!!

When you et the car back on the road it will reward you with daily smles from ear to ear.

I spent £25K on my TR4A rebuild in the 90's - was worth probably £12K when I finished bit over the last 23 years it has paid it back and a great deal more.

Roger  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dellyend1 said:

Thank you all so much. I’d spotted the short engines on e-bay so that could be an option 

best wishes 

jeremy

Beware, those engines are for a very late mk3 GT6 with domed pistons. So you need to have domed pistons currently, otherwise the head will be incorrect. 

However, sourcing a correct head is not a huge issue, it is the same as a 2.5 head. (Triumph decided to commonise the 2 and 2.5 engine heads, and did so using domed pistons in the 2 litre)

1 hour ago, dellyend1 said:

Thank you all so much. I’d spotted the short engines on e-bay so that could be an option 

The club have a relationship with a highly regarded engine reconditioner, someone will post the name. The prices are also very good. 

Iain 

Good advice above, it may simply be a cheap fix with new thrust washers.

I can also vouch for Ivor Searle, having shot a feature on machining a Spitfire engine for Practical Classics in their factory. I also had them refurb my Scimitar's cylinder heads and convert for unleaded. Top quality work at fair prices.

Nigel