Vitesse Mk2 Propshaft.

Phil C

Afternoon All

Just started to look at refurbishing the propshaft as part of the ongoing (never ending?) restoration project.

It has two large jubilee clips attached at the slider end? I thought they may be covering up some problem but on removal all appears good.

Before I proceed I would like to try and understand why they might be there. Anyone have any thoughts before I spend time/money?

Also I think the previous owner had installed the propshaft the back to front - shouldn't the slider be at the gearbox end?

Thanks

Phil

C06F5222-6169-45DA-BC28-B4236FBC30AF.thumb.jpeg.99d1efa797a54b7d9110ed4342b53d6a.jpeg

Ah! I did briefly consider they were some form of crude balancing! 

I think I could probably replace them in their original position using my photos and the marks left on the shaft - that is if no other work is required to the shaft.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The sliding joint is indeed towards the rear, so correct in this case.

Thanks for clarifying this point - my Haynes manual helpfully provides a diagram showing the sliding end towards the gearbox but then contradicts this in the accompanying text!! 

20C039DF-B2B7-4FB7-9C89-FE542F167A6D.thumb.jpeg.d63b0472afd59b6a5c90d1d496b52f80.jpeg

B42E050C-E226-4645-AFA2-7D74B2E37B69_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.2e161181c0bbc694e775595e7fadc396.jpeg

i recall the only reason its at the rear is to get access to the telesccope greaser

as far as operation it doesnt matter a hoot and all the waffle about marking couplings , (like they did on the assy line!!! )  the balance is maintained by controlling the couplings flat face and spigot diameter runout all machined to close tolerances  its a throw it on and forget fitting if there is a problem something else is wrong eg a bent coupling  etc.or a duff balancing.

Pete 

• Thanks 1

I would personally seriously consider getting a new shaft as they are £166 from Canley's and by the time you have bought 2 good quality UJs and then had it balanced (which the clips would suggest will be needed) inc getting it to and from the repairers, cleaned and painted, it will probably be not much different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It take a Loooooooooong time to balance a prop shaft using the Jubille clip(s) you go on the road and keep getting underneath to shift it/them a fraction. You can put it on axle stands and run it. (at your peril). Took weeks to take the vibration out of an old moggie minor belonging to my son. But if you like a challenge?.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Yes, just changing a propshaft UJ will put it out of balance. Not much, but enough. And the presence of the clips suggests it has happened before.

Couple that with the sliding joint being 50+years old, a new prop may well be a wise idea. I paid £45 cash to get a prop balanced, the UJs were £25 each which I had fitted myself and used for a trip (2K miles) and suffered the minor vibration. All in, over £100 with me doing the grunt work. So makes a new prop look good value. 

Of course, there is a knack to balancing with jubilee clips. Apparently running the car up to speed on stands (good ones I reckon) and being under with chalk, bring the chalk closer to the prop until it just touches and leaves a short mark. That is the high spot, and the weights of the clips need to be on the opposite side. Keep repeating until happy, then road test. (I don't fancy that at all!)

• Thanks 1

your nearest looks like https://propshaft-services.co.uk/

they come up as Bailey Morris   a good run away   ive used there eaton soccon  facility  cost £140 for a brand new prop for the 2000

messing with Jub clips wont do a dynamic balance   

always run a file over coupling mating faces any hammer marks or burrs need flatting 

pete

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Guys but Ive been off grid for a couple of weeks R&R so just caught up with the chat.

As one UJ definitely requires replacing I would guess the other will not be far off and should also be replaced at the same time.

Therefore, on balance (no pun intended!), I think the advice to replace with new makes most sense on all fronts.

Thanks