Vitesse 6 clutch problems

Barrykearley

I’ve just purchased a 1600 vitesse 6.

I have an issue which has been inherited from the PO. The clutch is without question not fully engaging as selecting 1st or reverse you are met with a grinding. Driving out is fine.

hydraulics bled - all new - movement at slave is good. Clutch is new and the gearbox looks fully rebuilt. No excessive play in the pedal linkages. The hydraulics simply run out of travel.

The control arm into the gearbox flops around a lot - there’s just too much travel before the bearing mates with the seat on the pressure plate. I’ve pulled the gearbox out this morning - can anyone please confirm the bearing thickness - looking at rimmers is supposed to be a GRB206. The bearing I have is 16mm there abouts.

the pivot point isn’t worn - nor is the control arm.

9A437823-49CD-402E-BECD-9EDD6F0CE895.jpeg.91f7a9099a8324dcaf9f31b62c3cb934.jpeg3597E3AC-9252-49B0-8CCF-0603DC9DD720.jpeg.452b8694d4b595592f1911d47d6caa4c.jpeg5317788C-ED41-4D53-9E66-F91072494630.jpeg.ad534f729632fdd3de109bde86a28904.jpeg40149A43-E9C6-48F7-903F-526806D72DEF.jpeg.7418cecb1a2d66e654162692a2c324c6.jpeg

I'm wondering why it's just first and reverse... these probably don't have synchromesh, but why no issues with the other gears?

I've measured a Herald coil-clutch bearing by eye just now; slightly over 17mm but that's not a precise measurement.

You may have a pin sheared, or badly worn, at the bottom of that lever, but you won't confirm wear or damage until it's completely removed.

9 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Has the bearing carrier got swapped for one that is too short,i think there are 3 types?.I see you have the short brass type.

I could only find an image of a 2 litre one and that looks longer but that would be for a diaphragm clutch.

S

I’ve not idea chap - this is an inherited issue.

I can measure that @Steve P - but at the full extent of current travel the arm almost hits the gearbox case - I’ve even tried the trick of sneaking a nut in between the arm and the rod to increase travel - again it’s limited by the gearbox case.

this is definitely related to there being too much free movement - which is down to carrier or bearing being the issue.

the bearing I have cross references to the GRB206 so - it’s either the wrong thickness and a bad cross reference or the carrier is to blame…… I do notice the carrier is NLA according to rimmers 🤔

132080 Clutch lever, common to all Vitesse and GT6.

GRB206 Release Bearing, Spit.1, Herald to 65 coil spring clutch and Vitesse 6 also coil spring.

116298 Bearing carrier, unique to Vitesse 6.

Slave cylinder should have a spring in it to take up free travel, self adjusting.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

many aftermarket throwouts are 15mm  thick  the correct is 19mm thick this upsets the angles

easy cheat is pop out the spherical post and add a  washer as a spacer on the back between hsg and gearbox face 

pins look good , 

yes should be a flat faced bearing grb206    is in stock at canley;s.. for coil clutches 

you should have a 7/8" dia bore slave cyl.

keep bleed nipple at the top and depress the slave to reduce volume 

Pete

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

And how does that pivot pin come out ? Is it bolted in from behind the bell housing ?

The pivot pin is driven out , easy to do , find a washer to fit and refit the pin . I glued the washer in , 

93E261F1-08D2-4669-A1C4-FEC5024CCE60.thumb.jpeg.48e3c7bb55e1fd83a2bc035518c999f0.jpeg

Paul 

• Thanks 1

for a coil clutch your  throwout brg is just very wrong   i do not recommend this to be refitted it must be a flat faced brg. 

not a contured like youres is  i thas to GO !!!!

the slave should move its piston out by its self and put the brg. up against the cover platform  apart from the wrong bearing it woud seem the pushrod is too short if the slave has run out of travel in the foot off position a thicker bgr will help but me thinks something else is wrong here

get the one from canley classics    they know whats needed 

Pete

Old bearing has CT 5466 stamped on it.

physically it’s about

68mm outer diameter, 38mm inner diameter, 16mm thick.

All approx since I’ve just binned my digital vernier thats refusing to work.

This cross refs to a GRB206 bearing and is what should be in the car according to rimmers. It looks about 3mm too thin to me by peering in the bellhousing

So tomorrow - I’ll be ordering the GRB209 - since that’s 19.63mm thick according to a dimension I’ve managed to find - and I reckon that’s gonna solve this issue.

5D6D8AD1-ABEF-4DBA-B8D0-5290CD0DB4B7.thumb.jpeg.b41e3a128fc0735c2304c867208ec3c7.jpeg

Scratch that - the GRB209 isnt a flat faced contact bearing.

I'm starting to think I have a 2000cc bearing carrier in this car. I’ll pop into a mates machine shop tomorrow and see if he can rattle me up a shim to go between the rear of the bearing I have and the carrier to push it out a few mm.

the 2ltr diaphragm clutch carrier is much longer then the coil clutch unit ,

as the stand of of the platform is much closer to the flywheel than the coil cover 

accepting you have a thin brg  the slave should still have enough travel to put the brg in contact all you get wrong then is the 

see saw angle of the lever it all one way hence correct it by spacing the post a bit 

so diaphragm has long carrier   coil has much shorter  not the other way round 

Pete