Chrome (or Stainless?) Domed Nut - Top of Sunblind - Finishing Fixing

Colin

Hi Folks,

I've recently had work to my Herald 1200 Saloon.

Some clever soul has lost one of the chrome domed nuts which sit on the top of the unblind pivot fixing.

Looks awful. Does anyone know what size/thread I'd need to locate, (and which of any of our favourite suppliers might be best approached) please??

Cheers,

Colin W.

Am I right, that was in the 'Quiz' section; I'd found a box full of strange looking chrome nuts and we thought they may be sunvisor nuts, but they turned out to be wing mirror fixings instead.

For the sunvisor I think (! need to confirm) it's a 3/8 UNF so a stainless or chrome domed nut does the job.

dome.jpg.c33165900233eb0a4983800acc79dfc5.jpg

Hi Chaps;

Thanks for replies. I hold 3/8 which are way too big.

I have spoken with Namrick who tell me that with my 7/16th spanner across flats, I need 1/4 domed on the thread of the 26/27 t.p.i. bolt (depends how you count!). They are to send me BSF & UNF (because I don't know which it actually is).

Will advise soonest! 

Confess to being confused about nut & bolt sizes - this 26/27 t.p.i. bolt doesn't measure 1/4" diameter, but this is what I'm told I need! Time will tell.

In the meantime . . . my number plate light is not working. I discovered that in the car spraying process, most electrics seem to have been disconnected or (mainly) broken and not refitted as per.

I have re-soldered bullet connectors, live and new earth and replaced the bulb. Nothing.

Am just about to put a volt meter across it, but any ideas for other variations on an annoying theme welcome . . .

Best,

C.

Bad earth's, surface corrosion within the connectors, rust, broken wire inside the insulation, could be anything. I took all my connectors apart and cleaned inside along with the bullets, spades etc. One was particularly hard to find on the brake light circuit. The copper had pulled of the connector but leaving the insulation crimped, so the connection looked good. Putting a meter on the circuit showed up as broken, but where????. I found the problem by connecting a scothblock up and using it to pierce the insulation in various places until I found the culprit.

3 hours ago, Colin said:

Hi Chaps;

Thanks for replies. I hold 3/8 which are way too big.

I have spoken with Namrick who tell me that with my 7/16th spanner across flats, I need 1/4 domed on the thread of the 26/27 t.p.i. bolt 

It's 1/4 inch; I measured it last night then came in and posted 3/8, for some reason. I've just run a UNF nut down this one and it fitted.

D6021C8D-32F6-4F4C-AAC8-EBDDB9B5655A_1_105_c.jpg.d56ee9c8acd10d70821867397fbb6deb.jpg

Hi Gents,

Sounds as if one of my choices may be the correct ones - not turned up yet:-

Here are my units - I've taken a rotary wire brush to the metal and cleaned the plastic covers. Still bearing Stanpart within the moulding, even on this late 1970 saloon!

I noted the date stamp on my Solex was 1963, too!! 

20211006_185008.jpg

20211006_184948.jpg

20211006_185028.jpg

And ta for the thoughts on the number plate light unit. I have two more thoughts only, even though having made a new and good earth leading from the black earth bulb connector. One is it's maybe the unit fixings to the boot; second, a break in the loom/poor connection somewhere as you rightly say. Otherwise not sure. Don't want to buy a modern two Bub unit particularly.

Best,

C.

1 hour ago, Colin said:

Gents:- to confirm the correct nut is 1/4 inch UNF! I also ordered BSF which actually fits as well, but by the feel is clearly not exact as is UNF. Hope this helps folk.

It does; did you buy the square nuts new too? I'm missing one so if it doesn't turn up it would be nice to know they're available; I've not looked yet.

Hi! No, I held onto the originals. Had to give them a darn good clean up.

I don't know how you can designate square nuts (ooh err missus). I counted 26/27 threads/inch (depends where you start and finish). But clearly UNF. Maybe that's the clue?! 😊

11 minutes ago, Colin said:

I don't know how you can designate square nuts

They're designated the same as any other nuts - thread diameter and type - so in this case 1/4" UNF. The problem is too many people quoting "AF", which is not a nut or bolt size but a spanner size. There are conventions for which spanner fits a "standard" nut for a given thread - so a 1/4" UNF nut is normally 7/16" AF - but it's the thread that matters so that's what you should quote.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

They're designated the same as any other nuts - thread diameter and type - so in this case 1/4" UNF. The problem is too many people quoting "AF", which is not a nut or bolt size but a spanner size. There are conventions for which spanner fits a "standard" nut for a given thread - so a 1/4" UNF nut is normally 7/16" AF - but it's the thread that matters so that's what you should quote.