Poorly made parts.

JohnD

I'm fitting my new engine, and as I like to 'blueprint' them, I'm matching the inlet and output head ports to the gasket, supplied by Rimmer's.   And the fit is awful!

IMG_20211004_170614.thumb.jpg.40a9f64aac05649d0d09f68a803e1dcb.jpg

This shows one end of the gasket, I've already matched the inlets.  I hope you can see how much I will need to carve out the exhausts to stop them sticking out two or three millimeters into the flow!!

My ports are not enlarged, just smoothed, and nothing like that much metal was removed.  Are the formers used to make the gaskets worn out and have lost shape?

Anyone else found such misshapen manifold gaskets?

John

I think they are cut out using a blank and pierce tool using knives which are thin guage tempered steel strip formed to shape and held within groves in the top tool. The bottom is just a flat plate which can be made of various materials but softer than the knives. The bottom patten is sacrificial. We used to make lots of tools this way for interior trim and aluminium heatshields. Lots of things can happen including transfer tool holes being moved which can result in a part of the piercing being misaligned. 

Or it could be the tool was made from a c**p part as a template! 

The last timing cover seal I used was so misaligned it split when I tried to get it over all the studs, and similar with the diff casing gasket. I've not had any problems with gearbox gaskets so they must be better made. I've a few original engine gasket sets and they're great, they fit first time.

Years ago, we could get the raw gasket, material and make our own, Kept sheets of it in the Ship Engine stores and made 90% of our jointing and gaskets, with a small ball peen hammer on the parent surface. Most of it came from Walkers "lion" works, in Woking.

Pete.

The "no one else has complained" defence is one I fear I will be fobbed off with, which is why I'm raising it here.

Gasket paper is readily available on eBay, in a range of thicknesses, I bought some recently.      It's easy to make a gasket from that, by laying a sheet on the part and lightly tapping around the edges with a ball pein hammer - I'm sure you know this, Mathew!     But the manifolds require a more robust gasket, peferably with a metal core.

Rimmers have acknowledged my email of complaint, but not replied yet.

John

6 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

but original has reinforcing rings on end and middle holes

Yes I noticed those on my old one, which I replaced as leaking a bit on the 2 outer exhaust seals.

Did wonder about replacement not having them?, and only 3, which were, 2 outer exh, and central inlet, as your photo Paul.

Interested what the purpose of the copper rings/seals?.

11 hours ago, sulzerman said:

I got a rotar arm at NEC classic car show couple years ago. Tried to fit, it was so tight on the spindle the plastic split.

Complete waste of money 💰☹️

Hi Paul,

with the dozens of choices to buy ignition parts from it is a minefield out there.

I would only ever buy from Martin Jay 'the Distributor Doctor'   http://www.distributordoctor.com/

He does only quality stuff.

Roger

• Like 1

To do Rimmer's justice, they have A/ offered me another gasket, and B/ tried one from stock on their own cylinder head.   They found much less misfit than I did.

So I've asked for the replacement and will try that on a spare head of mine.   I'll tell what I find.