Servo

bodger

Mr B,

Some love 'em, some hate 'em!  I love 'em!

A common response is "it won't make braking any better." But that depends what you mean by better, it certainly won't make you stop any faster, but it will make it easier and more like a modern.

You won't get that OMG! What's happening?!! moment when you jump from your modern to your classic.

I would go for a Lockheed type, the old Girling used on Triumphs is not so good.

Doug

Hmmm another personal taste question. Well, how strong are your legs and how adaptable are you to altering your pedal pressing from modern car to old? Will other people, inexperienced with the car, be driving it occasionally (possibly the most important factor)?

I personally like the brakes without servo assistance (but that might change as I get older) as I find the braking more controllable and, as theres no ABS, easier to avoid skidding.

If you do fit a servo there will probably be more brake pedal travel due to having to move more fluid so a larger bore master cylinder might be advisable....

6 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Mr B,

Some love 'em, some hate 'em!  I love 'em!

A common response is "it won't make braking any better." But that depends what you mean by better, it certainly won't make you stop any faster, but it will make it easier and more like a modern.

You won't get that OMG! What's happening?!! moment when you jump from your modern to your classic.

I would go for a Lockheed type, the old Girling used on Triumphs is not so good.

Doug

9 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Or, as has happened to me, the other way round when the modern stops so suddenly you think it is going to boot over bonnet 🤬

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, johny said:

a larger bore master cylinder might be advisable....

Good point. When swapping mine to a Lockheed I had some problems and suspected the master cylinder. I fitted a smaller version used on previous models without servo and got a further 2" of travel. :o

Also should have said 11/44s well done, you will notice a great improvement!

Doug

I would guess one is a genuine Lockheed unit (if still produced) and the other a copy that are also available on ebay down to about 60quid incl del. That seems to be the recomended boost although again its down to personal preference as theres 1.65 and 2.3 ratios also available - have to see if theres physical differences in size but I think I read the ratio is determined by the piston bore rather than the diaphragm....

I have a Powetune 1.9 to 1 in my Mk1 2L Vitesse, told it was a Taiwanese copy of a Lockheed unit, for some years and would not go back to unassisted brakes. Used the original master cylinder and did not drill any extra holes in manifold or body to fit so easily reversable.

Regards

Paul.

IMG_20190326_190037.jpg

IMG_20190214_094316~01.jpg

• Thanks 1

I bought mine off Ebay and eventually I had to take it apart because it didn't work. One of the airways in the vacuum chamber was blocked and the one-way valve was leaking. I cleaned up the airways, put on an external valve and all OK. Beware cheap Chinese copies assembled by 5 year olds!

Doug

5 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I bought mine off Ebay and eventually I had to take it apart because it didn't work. One of the airways in the vacuum chamber was blocked and the one-way valve was leaking. I cleaned up the airways, put on an external valve and all OK. Beware cheap Chinese copies assembled by 5 year olds!

Doug

The £50 EBay servos will be the same source as Rimmers £95 servos ? 
Paul

20 minutes ago, Andrew said:

In my opinion our cars do not need a servo.  I think for the weight of our cars and the speed we do a servo not required.  I like my cars as near to original as can be.   

Did you say speed? (this was genuinely on the autobahn.)

But probably more important than a servo are decent quality pads, which if you discount NOS asbestos pads means mintex 1144 or ferodo ds2500. But beware originality as some "standard" parts are now incredibly poor quality so best to substitute a modern alternative. Coils being the current issue it seems. 

However, I appreciate a servo makes sense for some people either though leg strength or making the car easier to drive and not a chore.

119418393_3573739116016253_1668285260627946767_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=e3f864&_nc_ohc=BElnTOAlNA8AX8ZWhKQ&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=628bdd9c623ecd4f3f22181806a107cf&oe=6181229E

54 minutes ago, Andrew said:

In my opinion our cars do not need a servo.  I think for the weight of our cars and the speed we do a servo not required.  I like my cars as near to original as can be.   

Late GT6 mk3 had a servo as standard. Earlier models had them as an option. 

Doug