Herald 13/60

Paul Amey

3 hours ago, Paul Amey said:

this guy sort of turned his nose up and said 'Oh, it's a 13/60' when looking at a Herald.

Horrid snob. He might have approached it from the side and thought it was a Vitesse - the top of a 13/60 bonnet is the same as a Vitesse, whereas all other Heralds are immediately recognisable as Heralds - and thus been disappointed. Not that the lack of extra cylinders warrants much disappointment, and certainly not snobbery.

28 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Always thought the 13/60 was a nice compromise, bit more get up and go than the 1200 and not the thirst of a Vitesse.

True, but to my eye it lacks the prettiness of the 1200 and doesn't quite pull off the purposeful look of a Vitesse. So a great compromise in practical terms but a less successful compromise aesthetically - to my eye, which counts for nothing if it's your car!

15 minutes ago, NonMember said:

True, but to my eye it lacks the prettiness of the 1200 

I do prefer the earlier cars but the 13/60 sort of grew on me; although I feel that it's more of a 1970s look than earlier decades. The one I've bought appears to have a Vitesse bonnet and bumpers, 13/60 rear end and an early bulkhead... so I get the benefit of the small engine to work on, very familiar bodywork and other mechanicals, and everyone I meet thinks it's a Vitesse.

I also think the pre 13/60 front is prettier, but the 13/60 has more go!

I bought a 13/60 rather than an earlier version because I learned to drive in one in 1970.

Would I buy a Vitesse? It was a consideration at the time of purchase but nostalgia won out.

A 13/60 convertible with overdrive would have been a very tempting purchase.

Looks like I fell on my feet with my 13/60cv that i purchase last year then!

Unbeknown at the time, it has a recon. Spit mk IV engine (27k) and a Toledo overdrive gearbox :)

I had a couple of spit4s in the early 70s and a 1600 vitesse cv too.

Did not appreciate them at the time. Couldn't get in/out a spit now :(

Maybe a vitesse next but you all seem to say they are very 'heavy'??

heavy in as much as the engine is a dead weight , steering can get heavy parking if you go for silly tyres or run low tyre psi   

i never had a problem  if in doubt try one or have an extra shreaded wheat !!!

adding a must have silly small steering wheel makes anything feel heavy when manoeuvring 

Pete

30 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

a Toledo overdrive gearbox

<pedant>Well... an overdrive 3-rail 4-synchro in a case with a Toledo number. Toledos never had overdrive but the gearbox is identical to the Mk4 Spitfire.</pedant>

But yes, Spitfire engine and overdrive makes a 13/60 a very nice car to drive.

:) it was someone on here who told me it was Toledo when I quoted the 'box number last june/July time.

I took it as gospel.... I'll see if I can find the post later on

Yes, I got a good buy..... after sorting the rear roller bearing, the carb and the dizzy! Just tidying the paintwork now and I will probably look for another 'project' (need to sell the 13/60cv first though) I have 2 other cars and a non compliant wife :)

box is a DG106119,  Pete said possibly 1300 Toledo 

Edited by Jeffds1360
Box number

My 13/60. Was a Sunday Lunchtime "Buy". Put a "silly" bid in on E-Bay, Came back from a (pub) lunch, went online and then had to tell SWMBO "we" where the owners of a Triumph Convertible,  It`s only taken since 2015 to get it 1/3rd back into service!!. Hey-Ho, One day it will be finished, (A bit like Mike the painter and the pope`s Cistine chapple.) Liked the lines having had a Vitesse in the 80`s.

Pete