So satisfying

Mathew

Well its come round again. Just taxed the 2500s for another year for nothing. The letter dropped in the letter box just now and within 5 minutes taxed on line! How easy is that! Also this months courier! So thats today sorted. Just got to sort the colour change on the spitfire while i think of it. Did the log books just say yellow or inca yellow?

V5 all done and ready to post, may have complicated it a bit. Changed colour from white to yellow but also corrected there spelling of my first name. I know from previous v5s they get lazy and spell my name with two t's when i clearly put just one! This has taken quite a few attempts before for them to get right. Sometimes they surprise me and get it right first time!

17 hours ago, Mathew said:

V5 all done and ready to post, may have complicated it a bit. Changed colour from white to yellow but also corrected there spelling of my first name. I know from previous v5s they get lazy and spell my name with two t's when i clearly put just one! This has taken quite a few attempts before for them to get right. Sometimes they surprise me and get it right first time!

I'm going to my nephew's wedding tomorrow, he was christened Mathew but has adopted Matthew, probably due to the rest of the World thinking they know better.

My original V5 described my GT6 as a convertible, never noticed till the issued new ones in garish colours. I could've claimed it as the first Gitfire, but I asked the to change it to Coupe, which they did without argument. Just shows how lax they once were, probably still are. It accounts for the 499cc GT6s shown on Howmanyleft, whose data is derived from old dvla records.

Doug

Its a funny thing, i have come across many mathew's with one t. Even where i work the other mathew is one t! Same as I'm mathew not a matt! Introduction's Mathew with one t. Send a form off with name in block capitals, still comes back with 2 t's!!!! Still there's alot worse things in life .

I get 'Lindsay' all the time as a first name rather than a surname, which causes trouble if they then ask for my surname. 

In the 1980s I worked with two girls with the same names, both Debbie ***** so to save any confusion they were referred to as Debbie Does and Debbie Doesn't. Smoke, that is.

37 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

n the 1980s I worked with two girls with the same names, both Debbie *****

In the early 1990s I worked in an office with three Richard ******s - but they went by Richard, Rich and Dick, so it wasn't a problem. Mind you, the site doctor was also Richard ****** (and all of the ones in the office had PHDs, so even "Dr Richard" wasn't unique).

In the 80's there were  two Chris **** So I was Chris A the other Chris R. (R= Ranger)

When I started at the grammar school the French teacher went round the class asking for our names. Fine with the likes of Bradley, Jones etc. but when I said Anthony he turned blue and yelled 'your surname not first name, boy!' I sheepishly explained . . I knew there was a risk when he got to another boy, who just happened to live across the street from me who was called John Christopher.

Then there was the neighbour's son John who was stopped coming back to chesterfield via the dales and Yorkshire moors by police searching for the Yorkshire Ripper. They thought he was taking the P*** when asked for his name he replied John Smith . . 

Now we have to remind the French how to spell my wife's maiden name by saying 'as in George or Ford' they spell it HaRiSSon to get the prononciation to cope with the 'S'. The number of official forms that had it wrong even when we filled them out ourselves and they typed them or put them on a computer. . .

As far as my first name goes they never shorten it and I don't bother trying to get them to call me by the short version.

If they were to use a diminutive it would sound like 'KreeKree' 

One of my mates in the street was called barry morecambe. One of the teachers who had a last name like a town as well said to him whats it like having a name of a town like mine, he said are you named barry as well. 

In the early eighties, I worked in the Scottish Highlands and I came across doctor in Aviemore - Dr Duck.

He was very old, so it possible that when he was christened, a young  Walt Disney and his cartoon characters were yet to become  famous, otherwise  Mr and Mrs Duck might have chosen a name for their son other than  ….. Donald.

I have also encountered a Dr Gore, and a Dr Blood and  even a Dr D’eath near Elgin!

A student I knew changed his surname before qualifying.He didn't like the idea of being “Dr B. Bugg”.

In one A&E Dept.,(provoking predictable mirth)  there was a Dr Rakshit and a Dr Kharzi.

- But I suppose, as old William S. would say,  “A rose by any other name  would smell as sweet” 

When I was an electrical engineering apprentice one of the bosses was M. E. G. Simmons, he signed everything MEGS. I though "How cool! What could be done with my initials? Nothing!"

But in time  Leslie Ernest Douglas came irritatingly into it's own.

db

My kids, had the assistant head teacher in primary school called Mr Duck, and yes you guessed it, his first name was?. Donald!. Absolutely first class teacher BTW. England Rugby Player?:- Austin Healey?. Some parent`s do have a warped sense of humor.

Pete

As Head of Year I once (accidentally) put together a Form at school that had five boys (out of twenty four) with the first name Daniel. Their solution: Daniel, Danny, Dan, D and Dids. I was also very pleased to put two boys with the surnames Duane and Eddy into the same Form and, on another occasion, Ireland and Israel.