Donors required

Iain T

Gotcha! Nothing to do with cars! 

I was sent this ad by an American friend, someone had the b**ls to commission it. Good on them! The wife and I have been signed up for many years, I just hope I have anything worth harvesting?!? 

Hope this video link worksūü§ě

Edited by KevinR
deleted the video as its received several complaints and despite the sentiment is in really bad taste

39 minutes ago, Chris A said:

think that here the rules are going to change, or have changed, in that if you DON'T want to donate bits you have to register.

The opt out legislation was passed in England in May last year. Try getting that law passed in say Texas!?! 

Just noticed the video deletion, I apologise if it or I offended anyone it certainly wasn't my intention. As I said I fully support organ donation but realise it is a very personal decision and in hindsight not necessarily for this forum. 

Again apologies. 

Iain 

13 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Just noticed the video deletion, I apologise if it or I offended anyone it certainly wasn't my intention. As I said I fully support organ donation but realise it is a very personal decision and in hindsight not necessarily for this forum. 

Again apologies. 

Iain 

Didn't offend me, but then I'm quite open minded. In fact the first words my (at the time) future wife said to me were 'what the f*** are you doing here?!'¬†ūü§¨

I'm glad several objected to the video, I thought I might be alone.     It wasn't so much that I was offended, more that I got blanked, the thread deleted, and was given a black mark(!) for insulting members of a political party.   

That was rude, this was revolting!

34 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I have a donor card since the 1980s,

Good on yer! 

My wife just renewed her driving licence and the website asked about organ donating. 

Iain 

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

"any part they can find..." It was quite relevant to Northern Ireland at the time... :)

I know what you mean, back in the 70's my job meant I had to go to Belfast 2 or 3 times a year. 'Seeing the sights' back then wasn't as much fun as it should have been . . .

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

was given a black mark(!) for insulting members of a political party.   

Is that what it was about! I missed the link/cross reference :)

Anyone can have any of my parts. They are part pickled anyway.  

• 5 weeks later...

Now you have me intrigued. Having missed the main event. I now wonder at what I missed!!.

I`m noted for my "Bad Taste". May be connected with my Cynical Nature?, towards mankind?.

I`ll have to check, But I think we are both on record with our G-P. for organ donation, goes back years, to when I was a Blood Donor.---------- " A pint!!. That`s a whole arm full".

Pete

1 hour ago, Ian Smith said:

After all, saving a life after your demise is no hard deal, surely? 

If you've ever seen a Post-Mortem examination, the body is carved... literally. Afterwards everything is just dumped back inside again. A corpse is a corpse, treat it with respect, yes, but the person it was is long gone, and if you can use anything from it to help someone else then why waste it, just so the family can pretend they're only 'sleeping' with a smile on their face, six feet down?

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

just so the family can pretend they're only 'sleeping' with a smile on their face, six feet down?

Or in my case: It all gets incinerated anyway?. I don`t think the family will miss a few gram`s of Ash, to scatter at sea.?.

Pete

50 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Now you have me intrigued. Having missed the main event. I now wonder at what I missed!!.

Pete, the American video was about a very nasty person in life who treated people horribly but when dead he was found to be an organ donor who's parts saved or assisted many people. It was very 'in your face' and obviously offended some for which I apologised. 

I checked on my NHS profile and yep it shows me as a donor. I don't like mud my ashes are going in the Thames,which may or may not be legal but I won't care! 

Iain 

8 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

I've tried to respond to earlier posts on this topic, but no.

It's a sensitive subject and a personal choice. For the wife and I an easy choice but bear in mind this is the visible open to non TSSC members part of the forum and as such the moderators have to make a call as to what is acceptable. I started the post as I feel strongly on the subject but as I have now agreed after some members reported the video not for this part of the Forum. 

Cheers 

Iain 

Totally agree, Iain. My fault is hat I keep remembering elements of humour. My humour is fairly broad-based, as are a lot of other folk. However, we have to accept that an equal amount of people don't share these sentiments, and as such, tread carefully.  I started a lot of posts this morning, but then...

"Nope, delete...."

well, I have just been advised this morning that my cancer of the colon (part of which was removed over 2 years ago) has returned in my small intestine and also in my 'gutter' and a couple of other areas.

I'm off to hospital on Friday 

Anyone local want a 13/60 cv and MANY spares :(

Feeling very sorry for myself at the moment and after 5 pints, probably not the right place to post but I am ;Billy no mates; as they have all passed on (or emigrated :) 

All my body parts are available for anyone ... do you want to book anything?

Harking back to an earlier post, there are few organs that can be donated from the post mortem slab.  Corneas are one (two) but all others have to come from a living body.   The ethics of donation are simple from the PoV of the donor, but not to those who must care for them.   Hence the complexities of defining 'brain death'.

In all cases where it is appropriate your family will be asked if your wish to donate may be gratified.   Please discuss it with them in life, so they are fully informed, as the circumstances that make donation possible are often sudden, unexpected and distressing.   It's hard enough when a loved one dies, to be faced with such a decision can be too much to consider.

Please carry the card, but talk to your family about it too!

John