Windscreen wipers

Iain T

Next on the list for my Vitesse Mk2 is the rubbish water movers aka windscreen wipers! The usual lack of tension etc so does anyone have a fix or replacement that actually works? 

I also need to take out the dash switch and pump as the washers don't work (could just be blocked jets) and the pardon the phrase the knob waggle about and is difficult to engage! 

Cheers 

Iain 

And watch out for the "Chrome wiper blades" that sould be better described as "Chrome razor blades with rubber attached".

If you currently have black blades fitted make sure you keep the bit of plastic that goes on the arm/clips to the blade - that version is missing from 'normal' wiper blade boxes these days...but the bar they clip to is the same size so you can just transfer from one pair to the next and save a few pennies by buying from a mainstream seller.

7 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

What length should the originals be?

Just measured my blades and they are 280mm (11 inches) long. Searching webby thing now.... 

There seems a lot of play at the splined fixing but that could just be wear in the assembly. I'll have to do more investigation. 

As to the switch Haynes shows a pin holding the knob and then unplug the hose/wires and unscrew the assy, is this correct? 

Yes, there's a pin on the underside of the knob; press this in and pull at the same time; gently as it's only a plastic knob and you don't want to pull the end off. There's a screwable bezel that holds the assembly into the dash; it's easier to remove the wiring and hoses from the rear and spin the switch until it loosens up as the bezel can be hard to get at.

• Thanks 1

first job is to upgrade from the 5.6mm wide arms to  7.mm all available with a   15mm spline drive   if you get adjustable length arms you can grow the blade 

to just clear the top of the screen    if the wheel box spline has failed you can cut off the cast spline and use a 1/4" drive arm  as a fix 

i have not found any modern aero blades all need a hook arm  which does not exist for a 15mm spline drive

you can find thicker arms in here https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/search?query=wipers

you obviously need 7mm bayonet blades to match 

to get the best remove the wiper motor rack and turn it over , likewise stick a card needle on the spline and note its position   turn it 1/2 turn and refit so the rack runs on unused side of the   wheelbox gear

pete

15 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

first job is to upgrade from the 5.6mm wide arms to  7.mm all available with a   15mm spline drive   if you get adjustable length arms you can grow the blade

Good website, I'll measure and see if a 300mm bayonet fitting blade will fit with adjustable arms. My arms are left cranked and I can get TEX brand blades which are supposed to have a locking system? The club sell them but I don't know if they are adjustable. I don't think a straight arm will park correctly. 

Sorted out the switch which just needed screwing in to stop wobbling about. The jets are blocked so I'll clean those and refit. 

It's the washer/wipers that's stopping me getting an MOT everything else is I hope ok. 

Iain 

Iain 

You can bend the wiper arms; put the bent bit in a vice and tighten gently, keeping the arm straight in the jaws until the arm is compressed straight. If need be you can bend it in the 'other' direction to change left to right and so on. I've done this on a few cars to improve the angle of sweep and more importantly the wiper rest position. 

agree a good grip and a careful bend will adjust /convert the end blade angle

also on wipers any judder is the flip flop is not equal so the arm may need a small twist to get the blade squeegee  \/  not   ¦\   so its sweep attack angle is equal

on up and down sweep  if you follow the gist  a small adjustable spanner on the arm will work to adjust the set with a tweak/twist

pete

Ive got a standard wiper setup on my Vitesse and they were tested to the limit for 3hrs on a return trip from Cheshire last week and see no need to upgrade . I was impressed and somewhat surprised with their effectiveness 

Paul

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes they can be quite adequate ,  there a few invisible upgrades to help 

the grade of the blade has  a lot to do there are some that have no intention of squeegee the rain 

Pete

The blades are Lucas if that helps 

Paul 

Thanks for the help. My drivers side blade is useless, doesn't clear a large portion in the middle which is exactly where I look through. 

As usual two steps forward and one back! I brought the two brass jet fittings, hoses and nozzles back from the car park to my apartment but I lost a brass fitting on the way😡! I and the wife have looked in the 100+ yards of path with shrubs either side, the lift and car park. Nuffink, where does all this stuff disappear too? I must have dropped it and although not expensive it's very annoying! 

Iain 

On 09/10/2021 at 16:42, Pete Lewis said:

yes they can be quite adequate ,  there a few invisible upgrades to help 

the grade of the blade has  a lot to do there are some that have no intention of squeegee the rain 

OK I've taken another look and now the suns out😎 I can see I have Tex 5.2mm arms with  bayonet fit blades. Measuring the distance between them parked there is enough gap to fit 12". This would give a slightly better sweep, has anyone tried 12"? Taking Pete's advice an upgrade to 7mm wide arms with presumably stiffer springs would better hold the blade against the screen.

Iain

59 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I just bought some oversized silicone rubbers off fleabay and cut them down to size. Worked out a lot cheaper and they work fine. Anybody want to buy a couple of 2" wiper blades?

I bought rubbers from a site ages ago and can get 2 blades per length, much cheaper than whole units so even I can afford to replace them at the first signs of wear 🤑