Mk111 Head Gasket coating?

Sandy Gibson

Rebuilding Spitfire Mk111 and going to fit Payen head gasket.

Wondering if it needs coating or apply it dry.  I use Hylomar blue everywhere else.  It’s a new engine to me but I was advised by PO that it had no cylinder head issues and the old gasket bore that out.

Any thoughts?

I prefer to use the copper spray stuff and some joint compound. Payen aren’t what they once were in my view. Don’t fit the horrid silver crossed cheap head gaskets either - last about 6 months. 
Up to you what you do, and keen to hear how you get on. :)

head gaskets need to grip using a slippy sealer will allow it to let go  the head does pant ( vibrate/shuffle )  so the gasket is generally fitted dry 

use high quality washers and nuts 

look at the old ones normally shows the nut has deformed the washer   a situation you need to avoid 

a light smear around the rocker  oil feed hole and maybe a smear along the cam follower chest side 

Pete

I’m sure your correct on this one and I’m going to get them but my simple mind tells me that the lack of a washer will damage the head surface?   If the torque forces can deform a hardened washer, with these nuts does the bottom of the flange deform before the head?

I cheated and used both. I liked the way the nut flared out at the bottom and so spread the load, but in order to prevent damage to anything caused by the torquing up I used washers as well. 

And before you point it out - no it's not tightened down yet in the photo! (Has been, since)

DSCF1327.jpg.f1dfabc6848d7fea67c240558d4d4f26.jpg

I've been using these flanged Minispares nuts for quite a few years now, on Triumph engines and on two different A series engines, and have had no issues with the lower flanged face of the nut deforming the surface of the head. I personally wouldn't use a separate washer underneath them; it defeats the object of using them in the first place, as you would need to be 100% certain that you have bought properly hardened washers and not ones made from cheese. The Minispares nuts have been around for a long time and have a good reputation.

1 hour ago, Sandy Gibson said:

my simple mind tells me that the lack of a washer will damage the head surface?

No. The head surface is quite hard and the bottom of those nuts is quite smooth. You don't want anything squidgy in there or your head clamping forces won't stay as they should be, hence the need to use either a properly made, hardened, flange nut (from MiniSpares) or a proper hardened washer (which are a lot more difficult to identify).