"Mongrel" Gear lever?

The GT6 Mk3 OD was clearly suffering with the gear lever springs being out of place. The lever just lay in the dropped position all of the time making it tricky to find 1st and 2nd. Ordered a kit from Canley and started on the job this morning. Here's my snag - the lever appears to be a hybrid between those of the 'early model' (Haynes Manual p.121, Fig 6.6) and the OD variety shown on p.122 (Fig 6.7). There's a circlip slot on the shaft as shown in the photo. The circlip was loose on the shaft and both springs protruded above the dished washers. Has anyone else got one of these mongrel gear levers? Haynes shows the Mk3 OD with no circlip. Should I fit it or not?

IMG_20211009_094255996.jpg

i would ignore haynes  ive never found any  3 rail gear stick  that does not have the circlip groove   ive just re ground a worn stick where the clip continually popped off 

back in 1965 my    59  948 had a circlip and groove  and every remote ive repaired since has one  

there is only two basic designs  solid or hollow to take the OD wiring   shapes may change but the 3 rail base push down to get past the reserve stop has never changed 

if you have a new kit do look at the cup washer as they can have serious sharp cropped edges which will mince any plastic parts instantly 

Pete

Circlip is fine. Double and triple checked for fit. The Canley kit doesn't include a new plastic dished washer but does include a metal domed washer that fits exactly atop the outer spring. If I use this in place of the plastic washer is there an issue? An earlier thread also refers to and includes a photograph of the Canley kit.

1 minute ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

Circlip is fine. Double and triple checked for fit. The Canley kit doesn't include a new plastic dished washer but does include a metal domed washer that fits exactly atop the outer spring. If I use this in place of the plastic washer is there an issue? An earlier thread also refers to and includes a photograph of the Canley kit.

P.S. My photograph shows the old plastic dished washer and the new metal one next to each other near the 27 cm mark on the workmate.

Some kits have the plastic dome, others have metal, personally I like the plastic (probably a dental / teeth grating thing against having metal to metal) but possibly because I feel it softens vibrations. I think to be honest that when driving you don't really notice any difference.

i recall the orig design was a metal dished it was replaced with plastic to cure gear lever sizzle  ( fork rubbing noises ) 

unfortunately the plastic doesn't last 50 years the metal one does i would use the metal every time if you have one 

and put a proper reprint workshop manual on your  wish list 

club shop or etbay have them

Pete