Phew! She started :)

Jeffds1360

Been away for a while and left poor little Plum in the garage  :(

Told the wife I was going to start her up but said it will take at least 10 revolutions to get fuel through (still mechanical)

Spun her over for 10-14 revolutions and ....... 0 (zero) .... not even a flakker :(

Ooooo. not happy :(

OK.... reset choke ( had used 1/4) to just a little and kept foot OFF accelerator 

PHEW :)  3 cranks and cough/splutter.

:) crank again and off she went, was a bit rich even with 1/4 so in and blip rev blip no problem.

Phew, she is majic, no problem, quick spin round block and all is well. 

Love this little beastie :)

SHOULD I GET AN ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP? (save my battery a bit? )

if you only need 1/4 choke i suggest its base setting is on the rich side 

cold engines need a rich mix to fire up with only a 1/4 you are barely getting to the enrichment  just a fast idle 

if you want it to fire up  PULL the choke OUT   Ha ! 

Pete

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

OK mate, never been a big fan of full choke but I'll pull and play

Yes, but as Pete also said, if it will start cold (20C is cold!) with almost no choke, then the base setting is too rich. Lean it off a little, then learn to use more choke cold. You'll get better economy and probably even performance.

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

My grandson, 23 and a mechanic said......it's got a choke???

At a show a few years ago youngster asked me what that thing was, I said a carburetor! Can't blame him but it makes you smile how things have changed. 

3 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Lucky man, I've just replaced the carb on the 13/60 and the idle is through the roof, and won't come down again... and that's with the choke well off. Suspecting a air leak and possibly through the spindles...

Sticky cable? When I first got my car it had a high tick over until I discovered the cable wasn't sitting correctly in the retaining bracket. 

Iain 

Found the best way to start my Vitesse after a few days is to turn it over on full choke for a few revolutions, walk away for a few minutes then usually starts up and push choke in then a bit out.

No need for an electric fuel pump.

Regards

Paul

17 hours ago, Iain T said:

Sticky cable? When I first got my car it had a high tick over until I discovered the cable wasn't sitting correctly in the retaining bracket. 

Iain 

Had something a bit similar on the 13/60 when I got it. The end of the choke cable that went beyond the bracket was bent and would bloke the mechanism when the coke was in use then when the choke was released it still stayed partly on raising the tick over.

1 hour ago, 68vitesse said:

Found the best way to start my Vitesse after a few days is to turn it over on full choke for a few revolutions, walk away for a few minutes then usually starts up and push choke in then a bit out.

Paul, I have a Huco electric pump and still do exactly as you! 

Iain 

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

this was the state of the diaphragm when I dismantled it.

well in normal condition a wash with petrol reverts the thing back to unwrinkled   ...think you have one thats past that with flying colours    what a mess 

I rebuilt a set been on abandoned 30yr old GT6 had to physically  jack / lever the needles out the jets as seriously corroded in place but had nice diaphagms

Pete