Herald Estate

iana

I’m thinking of getting a herald estate as it will be a lot more practical with 2 dogs than the vitesse, are there any issues with getting spares (I assume most are as per the saloon, exceptions being interior trim, exhaust and rear body panels). Are there any pitfalls or problems I need to consider?

They are an immensely practical car, but the entire rear half of the car is different from any other model - rear windows and seals, rear seat, interior trim, petrol tank etc etc.

The estate roof and rear hatch are the problems; C-posts are different to the other versions and can rust through, and the rear tailgate rusts through along the lower edge. Lower wings are the same as any model but upper wing tops are rare, although many of the estate parts come up for sale regularly. Window seals will be your first main concern; if water is getting in - none of them either side windows or rear window are available. If you open the rear tailgate on any you view, watch the c-posts as the door open particularly when it's fully open, and listen for crunching metal... they move about when rotted. The c-post to wing top seals used to be very rare, I haven't needed any in years so haven't checked. 

The rear seat is unique to the car, as are the rear trims but can probably be repaired / renovated if need be - I think the trims in the rear load area are available. The load area itself is just a form of hardboard, painted black and with chrome rubbing strips. As with any model, you'll not know what you need until you get one, and then it can be simple enough, or else wait for the part you need to appear. You just never know!

1976742284_estateloadbay.jpg.f7b6c0e14581c6c13a0cdb4521d45e1e.jpg 255333711_Estateloadarea.thumb.jpg.07fddf2c5d8c9e0d3ec3416d6d8f6705.jpg

Colin thanks for the pointers, the practicality of the car is what appeals, trimming wise we are lucky in having a good local guy who can make the necessary, I will check the c posts and seals etc as I’d assumed the seals would be available. I will probably be back with loads more questions once I’ve viewed a couple.

We have viewed a couple of cars and have now purchased a relatively local car that we will collect next weekend. Im now on the look out for a manual or two, a new rear chrome over riders, rear valance (it maybe repairable) and the rear side window rubbers could do with replacement so i need to try and find a pair along with a few other seals. The bulkhead is solid but tatty so a repaint is in order.

The car has a new dynamo, battery and control box so we will see how this performs before a change to an alternator.

Now to sort the insurance.

• Thanks 1

Sounds good! The parts you've listed, bar the side window seals, are all very common so no problem sourcing those.

All of the manuals bar the very early ones cover the Estate model; there is a separate Parts Manual supplement for the early Parts Manuals but it only causes worry when it refers to parts like 'chassis frame extension' and 'stiffener piece' then doesn't tell you what they are or where they go...

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

side window rubbers    no idea but a browse through all the extrusions C O Baines make might find one you can replicate 

I wondered about Baines profiles for Vit saloon rear window, just need an offside. Seem pricy and only sold in pairs, and pos crap regarding fit and quality of rubber from main suppliers?.

Any ideas of best product/technique, to glue the  joints if I bought a longer section from them?.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by daverclasper

The estate is now home, time to go round the car and sort a few gremlins, get a bit of body work done. Headlights are like candles so relays first and then maybe halogen conversion, n/s side light doesn’t work, number plate light ditto, and the washers stopped spraying on the way home. Also needs to order a manual and some keys (only came with one set so I’m guaranteed to loose them) Now to start the search for the impossible to find spares etc.

1005FBB3-4CA9-4241-A529-5D257F09A82A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Looking good! Let us know what spares you need, as and when; I like the detective work and the satisfaction of finding them. 

(White bumpers would match that side stripe nicely?)

Is that a light tan interior I spy? I need bits in that colour, but thankfully only the more common bits...

the interior is generally ok, theres a small tear in the side on the passenger seat but an easy fix, theres a hole in the dash plastic, Im mondering if that can be repaired rather than replaced. the carpet set is poor and needs a decent one fitting (and it needs to be the correct colour)

Ive found the FS keys i need to order so theyll be here late next week. Im struggling with the fuel cap, Its a PJ Journee, and theres a code but its very faint PJ 047? can these keys be cut? Other option is a new fuel cap but in black.

Oh and now I start the near impossible search for the rear side window seals - any ideas?

52 minutes ago, iana said:

the interior is generally ok, theres a small tear in the side on the passenger seat but an easy fix, theres a hole in the dash plastic, Im mondering if that can be repaired rather than replaced. the carpet set is poor and needs a decent one fitting (and it needs to be the correct colour)

Ive found the FS keys i need to order so theyll be here late next week. Im struggling with the fuel cap, Its a PJ Journee, and theres a code but its very faint PJ 047? can these keys be cut? Other option is a new fuel cap but in black.

Oh and now I start the near impossible search for the rear side window seals - any ideas?

Check out https://www.replacementkeys.co.uk

I have the same locking cap and purchased a spare  , about £6 delivered . I tried to find PJ047 but couldn’t find yours but worth checking yours again . 
Good luck

Paul

nb I replaced the rubber gasket by making one from an old inner tube.  This is part of the MOT 

5 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Check out https://www.replacementkeys.co.uk

I have the same locking cap and purchased a spare  , about £6 delivered . I tried to find PJ047 but couldn’t find yours but worth checking yours again . 
Good luck

Paul

nb I replaced the rubber gasket by making one from an old inner tube.  This is part of the MOT 

Found it this time 

https://www.replacementkeys.co.uk/pj-j-series-keys-to-code.html?keycode=J047

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iana said:

the carpet set is poor and needs a decent one fitting (and it needs to be the correct colour)

I bought some from Coverdale Carpets recently; I don't think they actually had the shade (biscuit, I think it was, rather than light tan) but they had some very close, Champagne isn't bad, and of course I went for dark brown just to be awkward. Might be a nice contrast with the seats... :)

https://www.carcarpets.co.uk/triumph-herald-1959-to-1970-saloon-carpet-set---blenheim-range-61693-p.asp

Thanks Colin I’ll have a look at Coverdale - did you pick the Blenheim or Wessex? I also need the carpet as well for the boot floor as it’s currently carpeted and looks pretty good just the wrong colour.

Also i need to fix the interior lights as the dash or light at the rear do not work. Can you identify what light this is or any ideas how to fix the hole?

79C2F2F8-4604-48DB-91E8-B711F7A4F04C.jpeg

When I needed spare keys, I realised that the only set that I had were well worn copies with no numbers. I took them to a local locksmith who actually computer matched them. I was very dubious but they arrived (not cheap by any means) and worked first time. I was amazed.

10 hours ago, iana said:

Can you identify what light this is or any ideas how to fix the hole?

That looks like a standard roof light for a Herald estate. I don't think the hole is "fixable" but you can probably find a replacement cover. Or a full unit. In fact, I have one here that I have no use for, if you want it. Not perfect but no holes.

If you are desperate to repair your existing light, you might try 'Glue n Glaze: Deluxe Materials Glue n Glaze AD55 | Hobbies

which the r/c aircraft modellers use to create cockpit canopies: you wipe a film across the gap (think of a bubble-blowing loop and soapy water) and it then dries clear. A spray of white on the back might give you an opaque finish...