Spitfire Lay Up

Aitch

I am recovering from a Hip replacement operation, but in January I am scheduled for a knee replacement so I will be out of action for a while. In this case, I am going to lay up my Spitfire. I can’t see anything being done until April next year at least.

I have already put the car on axle stands, all wheels turn by hand so there is no binding from the brakes and the battery has been removed. The handbrake is off; car is in neutral. There is no coolant in the radiator, but should I drain the water from the engine block? Also, should I put a drop of oil in via the sparkplug hole? Engine Oil, 3-in-one?

The car is kept at the side of the house (I don’t have a garage), but the hood will be up and the car is covered by a good tie-down quality breathable cover. In this weather I suppose it’s not much of a problem but with ‘Brass Monkey’ temps, throughout the winter, should I consider putting a blanket etc. over the engine? Spray WD40 over the electrics? I can’t drain the petrol tank so should an additive be used? If so, Which? I think I’ve covered most things with a common sense approach, but you never know!

Any other obvious things that need to be done.

Thanks, Aitch

i would keep an antifreeze in the inhibitors keep things clean , old exposed radiator and block will deposit  accumulated nasties and you get more troubles 

spoon full of engine oil is a fair idea  turn engine over to spread it on the bores  

oily rag to plug up the air intake so no damp air gets to the bores with open valves  

no cloths over engines they harbour damp  you just need plenty of clear ventilation

dont worry about petrol I have just  recomissioned a nice Mk2 and its stood unused for  for 3 years  . it started on the button 

but why not just fire it up once a week ???

Pete

I would put a squirt of engine oil down each bore  and turn tvfvrnginevover periodically, best to pop the plugs out so it is easy. 

Fuel, there are some stabilisers out there  no experience but probably wise. Millers do one. My main worry is he carbs and gunge.

And i see Pete has also replied... yes, antifreeze a good idea. As is turning her water pump as gbet do mot like being inactive