GT6 Roof Panel wanted

KevinR

I'm just getting ready to restore one of the GT6's I've got stashed and I'm not really keen on trying to fit a replacement Webasto roof - the old one is really really past its best and there is no way its going to go back together.

In addition, I'm not really a fan of Webasto style roofs, and so I want to fill in the hole with a bit of steel.

Knowing that there are one or two totally rotten GT6's out there that are unlikely to ever make it back on the road, has anyone got a roof section that they want to get rid of.  I don't need the complete roof, and a rotten front edge is not a problem.  All I need is enough of the central area of a roof so that I can joddle it in, weld it up, grind back the joint and skim it with filler.

If it makes any difference, the car is a MK1 GT6, and I believe that the roof profile is the same (in that area) on all MKs of GT6.

As an alternative, does anyone know of someone who would be prepared to wheel up a panel using an English Wheel.

Beer Tokens available to help lubricate a deal. 

4 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Hording gt6's ! Sounds like a big bit of sheet steel with a million spot welds is going to be your task, didn't think the curve was that great it would need to be wheeled. If the curve can't be done any other way there's bound to be someone about who could put the curve in it. 

Hoarding ?  I call it Investing 🤑

Unfortunately there is quite a lot of curvature over the panel - its about 24" x 24", and at least 1" of curvature in all directions.

Wheeling is the only option for making one - no amount of shrinking and stretching using heat alone is going to get anywhere near the required curvature.

Glue or welding, either is possible, but first I need the panel.

not a lot of point debating how best to fit the panel until I lay my hands one.

The front edge of the existing roof is in very good condition, so I would be reluctant to replace the entire roof unless the front edge of the replacement was in equally good condition.

The GT6 in question is low mileage and has been dry stored and off the road since 1986, so it’s been off the road for more than twice as long as it was on the road.

24 minutes ago, Graham C said:

Kevin, I have a section of GT roof which may be what you are after. I brought a scrap roof years ago for the rear section and have the front section available. I am in Nottingham. Can get a photo to you this weekend if you are interested.

Graham

Graham, 

Yes please, It's the centre of the roof I need, not the actual front lip part, so a photo would confirm if there is enough there to fill in the Webasto sized hole in my roof.

more than happy to travel to collect.

Kevin