Vitesse Mk2 Badges

Iain T

I'm trying to ascertain the correct bonnet and boot badges for a saloon. My bonnet has a Vitesse badge by nothing on the boot as the PO fitted a rear spotlamp on the rhs. On the side of the wings are union Jack's which I quite like and wouldn't replace. 

Iain 

58 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Thanks Gary my bonnet is correct but I believe the saloon boot badges are different to the convertible and no ali cover? 

Iain 

Iain

As far as I'm aware Saloon & Convertible badges are all the same on all models of Vitesse?

The Mk2 Vitesse was fitted with the Rear Fluted Boot panel finished in a Satin Silver colour, the Number Plate Cowl was fitted with a Reversing Light on all 2 Litre Vitesse's.

The Mk2 Vitesse however had the Chrome Vitesse badge added to the Cowl as there was no other Vitesse badge to the rear?

The Chrome GB badge is none standard on my old car however and the Boot panel is probably not the exact same shade of silver as originally used 

Hope this clarifies things?

Gary

Cheers, so to return to standard I'll need to ditch the rear spotlamp and fit the fluted panel (I like those), the Triumph badge and boot light cluster (no idea if they are available). 

I've already discarded the twin extra front spotlamps as all they did was block the radiator aperture! Methinks the PO tried too hard... 

Iain 

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

First Gen 2L, just had "Vitesse 6" on the boot.

Oh? I know my early 2L has that - along with the plain front grill sans badge - but I'd put that down to incorrect restoration, since it also has the Triumph shield on the bonnet top. My other Vitesse was a later Mk1 2L and that had the correct "2 litre" badges in place of the "6" and in the middle of the grill. The period motoring press articles appear to show those later badges from the launch of the 2L, as I would have expected.

Our Vitesse 2L. (photo taken circa 1986), as far as we where aware it was original? I cannot find the photo of the rear but the front is as:-

image.thumb.jpeg.78da0b4420a8890728dcf461d95bd0e8.jpeg

The rear just had the Vitesse 6 on the Driver side.

When it "arrived", the Vitesse 6 badge was in the boot!. I refitted it after the respray.

Pete

47 minutes ago, PeteH said:

When it "arrived", the Vitesse 6 badge was in the boot!.

I would suggest that may be significant. The 2litre badge fits the same holes, I think, so it's likely the previous owner had removed it and lost it, then found the wrong badge and left it in the boot.

22 hours ago, NonMember said:

I would suggest that may be significant. The 2litre badge fits the same holes, I think, so it's likely the previous owner had removed it and lost it, then found the wrong badge and left it in the boot.

???, Maybe. But my recollection is the Vitesse 6 Mounted at a slight angle?. where the later (2L) Badge is horizontal?. And the Engine was definitely a 2litre!. I think from memory the Colour is a "signal" Red?.

DVLA show it SORNED. 1998cc. Last MOT June 2012. First Reg; Oct 1968.

Pete

There is definitely the possibility that it is the result of the Triumph, Or a shortage of available items and a "let`s raid the parts bin" policy?.

I often wonder who owns it now?, and If it`s going to return to the road?. I might put it in the My old cars section?.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

But my recollection is the Vitesse 6 Mounted at a slight angle?. where the later (2L) Badge is horizontal?

The 6 is definitely slightly "italic" but I think that's achieved by the positioning of the pins on the badge. The 2L badge sits square because its pins are correctly positioned for that. I could check, I suppose, since I have a spare 2L badge and the car with the 6 on the boot is in the garage.

Regardless, a G-reg is a late Mk1 and therefore would definitely have left the factory with 2L badges.

Having had a quick look through a book of period motoring press reprints, I'd say the badge was never fitted there on Heralds. The 948 / 1200 would have had it on the front grill frame if present, and the 13/60 wouldn't have had it. The exception (because there's always one!) is the Australian 12/50 - a coupe with a 1600 Vitesse type bonnet, which had the badge like your 13/60.