Spindle reamers

Johno

14 hours ago, Johno said:

Does anyone know of a good source for stromberg  spindle reamers

I had mine done at Carburetor Exchange as part of a refurb. There is a guy in Chelmsford Essex that will ream and fit bushes, I think he quoted me £70-80. I deleted his email only yesterday! 

Iain 

Tracy Tools may be able to help with the reamer:

https://www.tracytools.com/

Burlen Fuel Systems have a comprehensive list of spares for Stromberg (and SU) carbs so may be worth trying for the bushes:

http://burlen.co.uk/

I've used Burlen several times for Stromberg and SU parts. I never dealt with Tracy Tools but see them advertising in classic bike mags.

Nigel

18 minutes ago, Johno said:

Pete, did you !mention someone the other day for rebuilds?

On Pete's recommendation I've just used Carburettor Exchange at Leighton Buzzard. Good work at reasonable prices, but don't expect them back in a week! They install spindle bushes/seal as standard, they said it's easier than people complaining! 

The difference in being able to tune is chalk and cheese.

Iain 

On 14/10/2021 at 19:35, PeteH said:

Wasn't there a posting recently, ref; someone replacing the bearings with miniature sealed Ball/Roller ones.

Pete

There is a gentleman up north, somewhere near Doncaster, called Andy Headley (or similar) who can do this. He did my HS4s quite a few years ago now, at a very reasonable price, and they have been perfect ever since.

Sorry that I have no detailed contact info - maybe someone on here knows who I am talking about?

2 hours ago, daverclasper said:

I think I remember?, something about using valve seals  successfully (can't remember which car from) to address worn carb bodies/spindles.

Can remember how they did it, as it would alter the spacing for the spindle attachments I assume?.   

The method used by Andy Healey(?) was to machine out the spindle bores and insert small bearing races each side of the carb that had rubber seals built into them. A proper engineered job.