Tyre warning.

Mathew

Picking up some paperwork today that belonged to my 2500s, from david at anglia triumph services, on the way the dash board lit up with a tyre symbol and the centre screen said tyre pressure low! With it beeping.  Pulled in to the next garage to get air (30p) found the nearside rear at 23psi. Air in and fine for the rest of the journey. Will have to keep an eye on that. This is the first time I've ever had an alarm like that. Did it save the tyre,  who knows. It did make me paranoid for the rest of the trip. 

Yeh, I've had that, a heavy load, but fortunately no beeping. Tyres were at their regular pressure so I put in another 5lb all round, but the light didn't go out till I unloaded. Then I looked at the manual which indicated the tyres could go up to 50psi. :o Don't think I'd chance that!

Doug

on most moderns now you have to re initialise the ecu tyre readings to show you have change and set the pressures ..or it doest  know 

many are driven from the ABS ring so rely on a reset to equal the rolling radius for all 4 tyres  its the difference in this that triggers a warning 

it may not be a " in tyre"  sensor at all .all depends on make and model 

Pete

Happened on SWMBO`s Quashqai, Beeping and a Tyre symbol on the Dash. Just reinflated to 30 all round and it disapeared. I have a set of "Tyrpal" sensors on the Motorhome, Saved a tyre once when the front N/S brake started dragging the caliper, and overheated. Showed as a High Temperature Warning.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Since a sudden deflation and having to cross four lanes on the M6 near Warrington ten years ago. I have used the Tyrepal aftermarket sensors that fit instead of the valve caps. They give warnings if the temperature rises and for abnormal changes in pressure.

They saved me three times. Split valve, cracked wheel, and an overnight flat. Saved the tyres too.

Used them on my motorhome too. When doing a long Summer journey, the pressure rose 15% and temperature too. One did detect a sticking brake as it rose faster than the others.

Main car now has 'Runflats' so these are now on the Vitesse.

If you used these, make sure that you fit the locking rings. Naughty children pinched mine for their bikes. Also make sure that the valve stem is not too long. They do cause flexing. I used somestick on plastic trunking go limit this.

I have the Tyrepals on my trailer for the race car - I've had tyres go flat on trailers, and that will ruin the tyre, cause instability and even wheel loss!   Because it's difficult to notice that trailer tyre is going flat while driving, before it's down to the rim.      My device has a clever receiver, sunlight powered,  that you glue to the tow car's windscreen and never need batteries, although the sensors' do run out eventually.   

But my modern tow car had its own tyre pressure sensor system built in.    Now, I have my "Race Truck"(!  It's an old Transit, with a bunk bed, but also a workshop in the back!), and that has no tyre sensors.   Ok, I should be able to notice a sagging tyre on the Transit but I so like the idea, I wnat it all round.    So now I need a system that will accomodate EIGHT tyres! 

Anyone know of such a system?  I'll be grateful for your experiences.

John

PS My original tow car is a Citroen, now ten years old.    I had to have one tyre pressure sensor replaced when it was seven, and read that the life of an in-wheel, battery-powered sensor is about seven years, plus or minus two.     I've only had one replaced, so mine are on borrowed time.   Especially as a proper Citroen sensor, fitted by a dealer costs about £200!    But my local tyre shop assure me that they can fit new ones, compatible with the Citroen system, which is essential, on a CANbus wired car, as the sensors must be compatible with the software.   I learnt this replacing reversing sensors!   So if your modern's start to go, consult your local tyre people, who may be willing to do it for very little, if you pay for the sensor and its done when you buy new tyres.   J.

I believe that 'Tyrepal' (or Tirepal) make a set for those who tow twin axle caravans. That should do up to eight tyres. Mine does up to six tyres. I found them in a Caravan Club Magazine. Use the Panasonic CR1632 batteries in the wheel caps. I got six months out of those. Most others do not last more than a month.

Tyrepal, Units take up to 14 sensors (15 if you include the spare). HGV ones go up to 18. Mine is only 7. and Solar Powered. The batteries last better that 6 Months or more.

Pete

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Thanks!  so far the votes seem to be for Tyrepal, and as I have been so happy with the old one, I've sent them a query, on the above lines.

But glad for other opinions!

JOhn

Curious to see what they come back with.? They where running deal on new (colour) solar ones when I got mine (2017).

Pete

My 2001 330D BMW ran pressures of 38 to 42psi! 18in rims needed it. The motorhome ran at 70psi. The sensors could be calibrated easily to cope with these. I had to set the motorhome at 62psi cold as they rose to 70psi after one hour on the motorway. It is very surprising what an unbalanced load or sticking brake can do. Remember, however, that there is a tolerance between each sensor. Plus and minus 2%, so do not expect them all to 'Agree' when you are running with them.