1st 'breakdown!

Jeffds1360

Woosh....what is that noise??

Squeeking rattle at engine revolution related.

Gently, at low revs back home (2 miles away)........Damn dynamo nut has disappeared, making pulley and fan flop about! Washer lying on chassis rail!

I have had a 'noise from that area and as the dynamo is 'new' I thought my water pump was on the way. Pleased it happened really because after replacing the nut, as all is now sweet and quiet :)

Anyone got a spare 9/16 nut ( I've used my last one!) and do you know what to torque it too? Do I just gently jam the fan blades to tighten?

7 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

Do I just gently jam the fan blades to tighten?

I think the officially approved method, since the fan has only a very thin contact with the woodruff key, is to hold the pulley by wrapping some rope round it and clamping the ends in a vice. The rope grips the pulley better than a fan belt because you can twist it to get really tight, then the pulley holds the woodruff key and hence the shaft, allowing you to tighten the nut properly.

1 hour ago, daverclasper said:

They normally seem to self tighten in use?

:) not mine!

I had a small rumble first, then the clankety rattle. The pully was on its way off, the fan was loose. Pity I had not thought to carry some spare nuts in the car...... surprised it happened as the washer is sprung !

9 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

surprised it happened as the washer is sprung !

Back in the day, when I was "on the tools" we where warned never to re-use "second hand" spring washers?. Under service conditions they can back off, certainly often enough to give concern. Like never re-using "stiff nuts" either. OR (somewhat surprisingly to many) Don`t grease Wheel Nuts!, just torque and then check after 50 miles or so.

Pete

after many years on torque  control problems  spring washers in the late 70s 80s were found to be totally useless

even nylocs and similar dont help much   a good washer a plain nut done to a specified torque( decent tightness) dont let torque let you think its something special 

works better for longer than all the lets mask the problem loose nuts 

as for a dynamo nut  a good call for a impact gun  would work  so easiliy    if you happen to have one 

if you havnt get it on your wish list   

if you dont have a torque meter  this is very versatile   form places like amazon 

51MGOh0+IpL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Like 1

I ordered a 7/16 UNF half, locking, nut, two in fact, cost £1.94 with free postage for the pair.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371571724857?var=640590041693

Doesn't fit :(

Thread all wrong.

So..... searched about and found prices for NT607041 varied from 49p to £1.02 BUT..... postage was between £5 and £10 !!!

Think I will wait until I need something else as I'm not paying that !! 

20 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

I ordered a 7/16 UNF half, locking, nut, two in fact, cost £1.94 with free postage for the pair.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371571724857?var=640590041693

Doesn't fit :(

Thread all wrong.

So..... searched about and found prices for NT607041 varied from 49p to £1.02 BUT..... postage was between £5 and £10 !!!

Think I will wait until I need something else as I'm not paying that !! 

C L R Fixings Ltd

Directions

Save

5.03 Google reviews

Fastener supplier in Washington, England

Address: 10 Faraday Cl, Washington NE38 8QJ

Hours: 

Open ⋅ Closes 5PM

Phone: 0191 417 7483

Try a place like this Jeff, i have one near me ( Trent fastenings) and they are really helpful. You will be amazed at one you can get. There will be a firm near you :) 

Tony.

• Thanks 1

The other mistake some people make is not unloading the torque spanner after use. Ours used to be re-calibrated every few weeks too. If you have 2 torque wrenches it`s worth an occasional check on the same fastener. Crude but it works as a guide. My "big" one goes to 360 lb/ft. For truck work.

Pete

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

The other mistake is not stopping when it clicks

Very Interested, especially for the crucial setting. 

Do you mean it will keep on tightening after the first click?, as even if it reset it's self, would it not click again straightaway at the original torque  setting?.

Dave

Edited by daverclasper

2 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Very Interested.

Do you mean it will keep on tightening after the first click?, as even if it reset it's self, would it not click again straightaway at the original torque  setting?.

Dave

In effect? Yes. If it`s like my venerable Britool torque wrench, then yes after the "click" the tool is then just a bar! IF however you back it off and tighten then it will click again on

21 minutes ago, PeteH said:

In effect? Yes. If it`s like my venerable Britool torque wrench, then yes after the "click" the tool is then just a bar!

Thanks. So were ok, gradually going around different torque fastenings (eg CH) until one clicks, then back off the spring to carry on, until another fastening clicks, and then back off again, and continue like this?.

To maybe sum up, after a click, always back off, to loosen spring to continue with any remaining fastenings?. 

Edited by daverclasper

10 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Thanks. So were ok, gradually going around different torque fastenings (eg CH) until one clicks, then back off the spring to carry on, until another fastening clicks, and then back off again, and continue like this?.

To maybe sum up, after a click, always back off, to loosen spring to continue with any remaining fastenings?. 

Pretty much.

The first C-B`s to hit the UK, illegal imports form the USA, caused a couple of near miss accidents, as the frequency used was the same as that used by Radio control models (27mghz).

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=cw+mccall+convoy

Spawned the Film with Kris Kristofferson. Ali McGraw was quite tasty.

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Pretty much.

The first C-B`s to hit the UK, illegal imports form the USA, caused a couple of near miss accidents, as the frequency used was the same as that used by Radio control models (27mghz).

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=cw+mccall+convoy

Spawned the Film with Kris Kristofferson. Ali McGraw was quite tasty.

Pete

Thanks, but what has that to do with the the price of "big end washers"?😊

Edited by daverclasper
  • Haha 1

??? Started what :)

braker became breaker became cb, reverted to torque and that related to tightening my dynamo nut......so.....where the heck do "big end washers" come in...???

My post si I cab wander ( not washer) where I want :(

I mean wander where I want.... I 🤔 

• Haha 1