Hose clip sizing

daverclasper

Hi. This is about me making sure the clip will go on a hose and also clamp it when buying.

So, if a jubilee clip has for example a stated sizing of, 9mm to 14mm, does that mean a hose with an E.D within that range will generally clamp up ok, or is the 9mm the max the clamping diameter, therefore a hose of E.D 9mm would not clamp up sufficiently?.

Phew, hope you understand what I mean?.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by daverclasper

It's surprisingly complicated when one thinks about it detail!

A Jubilee clip has a specified range (roughly stated) of the min/max circle diameter it is possible for the clip to achieve. So, for say a 11mm ED rubber pipe the suitable JC would be a 9.5 - 12mm.

But there's a but: As a JC is hoiked up towards it minimum diameter the figure it forms becomes less and less circular. Doesn't matter two hoots on, say, a garden hose, but on critical applications (e.g. hydraulic fluid returns, fuel lines) this lack of circularity can be a significant issue. In such circumstances a screw and nut type clip can be used which is much better at remaining circular, and providing even clamping as tightened. So for this type of clip a 11mm ED pipe would take a 9 - 11mm specification.

So for your example of a 9mm ED pipe a 9 - 14mm JC may produce weak and un-circular clamping.

I hope that's some sort of an answer!

clip.jpg

2 hours ago, chrishawley said:

I hope that's some sort of an answer!

It makes a lot of sense, and it's why you'll spot me in the local Autofactors with a small snippet of hose trying to match hose clips of the closest size; not because of the ovality of a too-large clamp but because I hate having a long section of screwed clip sticking out past the screw.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It makes a lot of sense, and it's why you'll spot me in the local Autofactors

Thanks folks, that helps.

I wish we still had small local Autofactors (though we do have Europarts, etc, though maybe there stuff is in sealed packets, so can't try it?).

I live in Bristol and certainly not any small shops nearby anymore.

NM, the sizes were just a, off the top my head example, so no relevance to any particular applications.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by daverclasper