Rev counter / Night Dimming relay

European Voyager

HI 

A PI i have bought has been fitted with electronic ignition but I cannot see any makers name on it , It is of the type that is all fitted to the inside of the distributor cap , My problem is the rev counter doesn't work , It rings a bell somewhere this could be because of the way the ignition system is wired up but there must be a way round it . Can anyone shed any light on this please . Also when the side lights are on the is not much difference in the brake lights and side lights , all bulbs are correct and the reflectors are in good condition . I'm not a fan of LED Bulbs and thought about removing the night dimmer if it can be rewired .

Thanks 

EV

On 17/10/2021 at 09:28, Badwolf said:

If the night dimmer is like the Spitfire version, simply disconnect the power energising lead. Not sure which one it is but someone will be along soon to tell. Then you can leave everything as is.

As thescrapman said it's the black earth wire you need to pull of the night dimming relay.  From memory it's the light circuit that triggers the relay so removing that would both leave you with a live wire (with lights on) dangling in the metal rear wing but also no rear lights! :)

Remove the earth and the trigger winding can't ever activate, so can't ever trigger the dimming winding.  Much easier then the other option of bypassing each lighting circuit from one side of the relay to the other!

18 hours ago, Mjit said:

Much easier then the other option of bypassing each lighting circuit from one side of the relay to the other!

Yes, but think of the weight saving and the additional MPG!

Seriously it only takes 5mins and then there's the satisfaction of throwing it in the bin. 

Doug

To avoid blinding cars behind with the rear lights at night, but that raises one question with me. If the brakelights are bright during daytimes they'll be superbright at night, so it makes a sort of sense to dim them when they're brighter than required; however does it work on the taillights too? Especially when they're not needed during the day, but are in darkness, so why dim them at all?

29 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

To avoid blinding cars behind with the rear lights at night, but that raises one question with me. If the brakelights are bright during daytimes they'll be superbright at night, so it makes a sort of sense to dim them when they're brighter than required; however does it work on the taillights too? Especially when they're not needed during the day, but are in darkness, so why dim them at all?

IF your so close as to be blinded. Your too close!. That was the original idea of High level brake-lights. To reinforce the fact that you where braking. When daylight running lights first appeared ,Volvo`s I think where first, and possibly SAAB, People use to flash them to inform their Lights where on!. Our local Volvo dealer would disable them if you requested it.

Pete