Painting

Mathew

Now i have done solid direct gloss, "yellow spitfire". I have done base and clear coat, "pumaspit". Out of 5 litres of direct inca yellow i was left with 300ml of un mixed paint, probably waisted half a litre due to over mix and other f ups. On the base coat i bought 5 litres and have used half. The rest being clearcoat over. Some of the left over will be used on a hard top project next year.

Now with that information which way should i go painting the gt6? Direct gloss 72 red or base and clear?

Base and clear because red colours are probe to fading from sunlight and oxidation. The clear coat should reduce the risk of oxygen getting to the red pigment. 

I specified clear over Pimento base coat for my GT6 for that reason.  Need a few more years before it's possible to say whether difference it has made.

Nigel

6 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

Base and clear because red colours are probe to fading from sunlight and oxidation. The clear coat should reduce the risk of oxygen getting to the red pigment. 

I specified clear over Pimento base coat for my GT6 for that reason.  Need a few more years before it's possible to say whether difference it has made.

Nigel

Sounds good 👍. How many years has your paintwork been, as it looked good when i saw it and in your recent picture. I know the cellulose red only made it 2 years, thus going to use 2k.

I painted my red toledo with cheap 2k "post office"red as it was already painted a non Triumph red, plus it was £50 for 5l. Used about 3-4l. It took about 3 years to start to fade when left permanently outside, no cover. A session with g3 brought it back, 2 years later it has faded again. Been washed a couple of times though. No more.

Clear over base does appeal. Over a good 2k primer of course. Got to think about the dolly. Was brooklands green, but has darkened to a nicer shade. It will need acomplete paint job at some point, but want to just patch it up over the winter, gain trust, then spray it next summer.  Or the summer after....