Replacing Bush Kit on gearbox lever 13/60

Jughead

Hi All,

I need to replace my spring / bushes on the gear shift as when i "push" down and across-left and-up to select reverse it doesn't pop back up after LOL.

I've removed the tunnel cover and have to push up the bottom of the stick (where it connects to the rail) and then this "fixes" it.

I have my eye on this kit. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-519770

Are these hard to replace eg. a tricky job?

Many thanks 

Jug

Very easy to rebuild the gear lever with one of those kits but beware of sharp edges on metal bits. You are probably better off retaining the existing dome cover.

It's quite likely that your problem is the circlip on the gearstick, against which the spring acts. They fall out and ride up. This is caused either by poor quality / old and worn circlips, or by the groove in the stick having rounded edges. It may need a bit of careful re-cutting to be nice and square, which is a slightly more "expert" task than the rest of the rebuild.

i have just with a dremmel and grinding disc re formed a worn circlip groove where the clip was continually popping out 

dont re use a clip without giving it a squeeze in a vice to close the gap before re fitting 

the metal cups in the kits can have serious sharp cropped edges as Rob mentioned   these must be filed smooth ot binned   or it will mince the plastic parts in minutes

rge rubber or nylon bush fitd in the forward pivot the top hat bushes fit the gear lever 

the 0 rings are best not used  these are the oil seals and fit inside a groove  the casing for the shaft to run through

, as changing needs a full  remote strip down and on refitting the shaft you will chop them  leave them alone 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

the 0 rings are best not used  these are the oil seals and fit inside a groove  the casing for the shaft to run through

, as changing needs a full  remote strip down and on refitting the shaft you will chop them  leave them alone 

I actually found them quite easy; use plenty of oil. Pick the old ones out with a long needle, squeeze the new ones back into place, and then oil the shaft, plenty of oil, and slide in straight. 

I did this job only two weeks ago on the GT6 and once I had discovered that the Haynes book tells fibs about the Mk3 OD gear lever, found the whole job to be very straightforward. Pete's sage advice about the circlip groove is a must do! If in doubt, take a photo of each stage in the dismantling and then simply reverse the procedure - simples!