Disc

bodger

Personally I think decent brakes and pads and a properly bled system is fine for normal to hard road use. Downshifting also helps a might too...

I see on BookFace every week people who have a car that is literally falling apart and they are worried about the stopping power of a car that can't even move!

sorry  just these add on parts often give you a problem or headache    you didnt know about till its committed 

i would take a guess that the angle of the radial slots makes the pictured one the N/S  

but slots with closed ends puzzle me the basic idea is to clear dust and let gasses escape with the pad covering the slot 

i think all you may get is noise and early pad wear           yes there are drillings  to supposedly release gas    if there is any ??

Pete

Just now, Pete Lewis said:

sorry  just these add on parts often give you a problem or headache    you didnt know about till its committed 

It is everybody having too much time. And worryingly some people (not you) offer opinions which are based on other peoples opinions found elsewhere, and the cycle just goes round and round. 

A simple question needs a simple answer. Not the "you bought the wrong thing"

So here is my opinion. The key is quality brake pads.  

Yes, I believe drilled/grooved discs are all about gas release on racing pads?? 

Slots are complete borrocks.    They are sold as acting through their sharp edges to "keep the pads clean" rather than expel dust, which is snake oil of the most reptile.

Drillings are complete borrocks.   They are supposed to "allow the gases to expand and keep the pads on the disc"    There should be no "gases" coming off your pads if you bedded them in correctly, and any way, both ends of the drilling wlll be blocked by the opposing pads, so the only volume to expand into is IN the disc, about 0.25mls!   There might be some air, heated and expanded by braking, but that's minimal, and unimportant for road driving

The benefits, if any, are tiny.    Some race teams, seeking incremental gain will use them, but they will change them after every race, because the tendency for cracks to develop between the holes makes them very short lived.

John

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guys,

The bloke asked a question, I gave an answer and an opinion. This was followed by 7 other opinions, but no answers to the question, not until Pete's last comment. This is sort of thing that put me off Club Triumph and will certainly put newbies off this forum.

Doug

Sorry Clive gave an answer as well.

Edited by dougbgt6
missed Clive!
  • Like 2

Put yourself in the OP's shoes. You post what seems a fair question. But the vast majority of replies are telling him he is wrong, bought the wrong parts, all rather disheartening. I wouldn't blame him for thinking he would be better off elsewhere. 

Yes, I think we have got into the habit of letting threads move away from the question asked,  but that is probably a reflection on us being keen to share our knowledge (or some people their ignorance, there are a few). But it is not always helpful.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

Slotted disc direction of rotation.JPG

You beat me to it. I worked it out by imagining the disc rotating and water or whatever being thrown outward - good old centrifugal force.

Bodger : It is you car do as you wish, this has been said many times on the forum. As long as what someone wants to do isn't actually unsafe of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clive said:

Put yourself in the OP's shoes. You post what seems a fair question. But the vast majority of replies are telling him he is wrong

That's a question of perspective. Sure, if you're a snowflake that's been brought up to believe you can never be wrong and anyone correcting you is being offensive and insulting, then that's how you'd read it. And yes, you'd probably walk away feeling offended.

Nobody knows everything. If somebody with more experience tells me something I didn't know, whether I asked about it or not, then I'd hope I would accept it as an opportunity to learn and/or a warning that my current course of action may be less optimal than I thought. Doug's reply was, to my mind, perfect.

2 hours ago, NonMember said:

Sure, if you're a snowflake that's been brought up to believe you can never be wrong and anyone correcting you is being offensive and insulting,

NM. I had thought you, particularly, could see more, than using this ,"generally right wing terminology", I think?, in the standard way, that maybe isn't healthy for us all.

Hope I wasn't correcting too much, as I probably do, fall into the "general" snowflake category, I imagine🙂   

Edited by daverclasper

1 minute ago, bodger said:

Crap

Really? You don't want people to give useful advice that might help you and you'd rather some other person "sprung to your defence" for an imagined slight that was never intended? And your response to my attempt at balance is a four letter word? Do you think Clive will spring to my defence for that?

6 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Really? You don't want people to give useful advice that might help you and you'd rather some other person "sprung to your defence" for an imagined slight that was never intended? And your response to my attempt at balance is a four letter word? Do you think Clive will spring to my defence for that?

Very self opinionated 

2 hours ago, NonMember said:

No Rob. I don't wish to be drawn in any further. 

Yes, it's a left hand side disc...

...and no, grooves and slots are far from being a waste of time, especially in wet conditions. In fact, the pressed steel rain guard becomes superfluous as the drilled disc is far superior in the wet.

...and no, they should not need regular replacement. In fact, I've never had to replace one due to cracking or any kind of failure.

All in my opinion and personal experience of course.

A lot of Modern, and not so modern, Motorcycles with drilled disc`s?. My 1984 "Beemer" for one. One cannot see manufacturers spending extra time and money on machining with no benefit?. The Bean Counters, would veto it!.

Pete