Winter Heat Required

Colin

Sounds like you are all doing well. I am qualified in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and see all of the things that can go wrong in those fields. I tend to do do the non electrical stuff because I do not anticipate problems with things that I know less about. As a result I often get 'Bitten on the Bum'.

However, over the last 55 years I have tackled all electrical and plumbing issues in my houses and done more than 90% of all necessary jobs on my cars and motorcycles.

I will bite the bullet and dismantle my heater soon. The box needs a re-paint anyway. It is my own body maintenance that is lacking now. Fear of seizure is postponed on a daily basis.

You keep well, Wagger.

I will need some electrical advice soon - not my forte - i bought the Club hazard warning lights a while ago. Now the car's back I could do some visual assistance regarding what connects to where . . . I have kits of spade connectors and a reel of wiring I believe to be suitable. 

Can provide personal contact details - or can put the request for assistance under 'Electrical' on this Forum - which actually might be more social and helpful to a greater number of folk . . . 

Best.C.

Soryy Colin, I missed this post until now. I can have a look at diagrams etc for you. My Vitesse has no Hazard flashers yet, I was going to link both indicators and see if the flash half as fast. That is what should happen if trying to use the Indicator flasher unit. After all, it flashes twice as fast f one bulb fails. I know that I could risk damaging it but simplicity is the key for me.

My son tells me that late spitfires had this mod anyway.

I may just do the rear end ones by fitting a change-over switch that diconnects the front ones as puts the other rear one in parallel.

Solving things is my addiction. Actually doing it is less interesting. The end result is rewarding, if it works.

Sounds intrepid! I wish you luck. Thanks for the kind offer of help.

My kind of electric work involves folk showing me (pix/sketches) pictorially how to do something! 

I haven't got there yet, but I will probably post the request under this Forum's Electric section as a belt and braces.

My Dad was an electrician and kindly scribbled helpful notes on the Herald w'shop manual diagram - however - I'm dim enough not to be able to translate many of those routes into where they physically exist in/on the car!! 

Cheers!

C.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Gents;

Haven't been near the Herald for a while. She started well enough and I'm pleased to say (dash vent position selected) that a decent amount of warmth came up both vents (I know, right!! - after all my comment about driver's side not seeming to push as much up). 'Specially with fan on. Certainly enough to slowly demist a cold screen (was cool on this run). 

Still not sure it 'd keep me warm were she a soft top, hood down!! 

So next flush, Pete, it'll be the crystals! 

Cheers All. 😊

• 1 year later...

Long time no-touch this subject, chaps (last year?);

Took the Old Girl out for run today.

After all last year's shenanigans trying to get some heat, which you may recall and after all the flushing, I did then get some heat then and also inboard today.

Strangely though the passenger side vent, when tested with hand over it, was delivering demonstrably more heat (still not stonkingly hot, though b.t.w.) than my driver's side. I know both delivery pipes to be clear.

Can anyone think of a reason? I know there will be several.

Questionable theories I can conjour up are;

- Did I only manage to shift solids in the matrix on last flushing to one side of the matrix, so one (the passenger) side is enjoying better through flow?

- Having not repaired/augmented/better insulated the heater output to cabin pipe 'foam' (which is pretty crusty to be fair), is the journey airflow through causing one side to be considerably cooler as it is cooled by journey airflow - and rthe driver's side being the one to suffer?

All thoughts welcome!

Cheers,

C.

It`s an "age" thing?. It "charted" the year I left school!🙄

"Seven Little Girls Sitting in the Backseat" is a song written by Bob Hilliard and Lee Pockriss. It was recorded by Paul Evans 1959.

Pete

13 minutes ago, PeteH said:

It`s an "age" thing?. It "charted" the year I left school!🙄

"Seven Little Girls Sitting in the Backseat" is a song written by Bob Hilliard and Lee Pockriss. It was recorded by Paul Evans 1959.

Pete

In a cartoon at the time, 'Fred' was a dog, I believe.

Colin on herald/vitesse there is only one matrix all the air goes through and the outlet into the cabin is common so left right get the same air 

thast assuming the nasty air flap is working there is no real way  LH and RH can be different 

unless debris is blocking the matrix air flow 

Pete

Oh yes! 

If I knew what measures were necessary, I'd have a go with white vinegar - something I'd picked up as a clean anything product.

But I think it could get messy - goes a bit wild if boiled! 

Ultimately (and honestly having read many other threads), probably a complete dismantle; maybe even a recore is the best route forward! 

C.