new prop

david lewis

hi all, i have had a new u/j and balance on the propshaft of my 1969 13/60 fitted with a 4 syncro box but am still getting some vibration from the strap type shaft .

i have been talking to dave mac who can make a solid type shaft for a reasonable price--is this worth doing ? and are the different types of shaft the same length irrespective of the gearbox fitted (obviously not o/drive type ).

cheers

Indeed strap drive props seem to have issues with balance, there was a bit about it in the old Kipping catalogue (possibly on the canleys site now?)

Anyway, I would get one with a sliding spline or CV at one end, it will make life much easier when it comes to fitting and future removal.

And yes, all heralds use the same length prop irrespective of type. see below, spit use the same length for 1-IV, early had 3 synchro box and IV had the 4 synchro

http://www.canleyclassics.com/technical-archive/propshaft-problems/

Indeed strap drive props seem to have issues with balance, there was a bit about it in the old Kipping catalogue (possibly on the canleys site now?)

Anyway, I would get one with a sliding spline or CV at one end, it will make life much easier when it comes to fitting and future removal.

And yes, all heralds use the same length prop irrespective of type. see below, spit use the same length for 1-IV, early had 3 synchro box and IV had the 4 synchro

http://www.canleyclassics.com/technical-archive/propshaft-problems/

I would echo Clive's comments. Had a strap type and couldn't get not to vibrate and after some experimenting had a new Dave Mac propshaft with a sliding joint at a very reasonable cost made. I would definitely recommend this route. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...