Hi from sunny Spain. My quest for a TR6

Early retirement gave me the chance to settle in sunny Southern Spain just before the Brexit shenanigans made their mark and then covid hit 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Always been a bit of a petrol head, XR2i for about 5 years and after that owned a 2001 Clio172 until we moved in 2018. That was a quick car especially as it was chipped. Wish I had kept in now as it was immaculate and only 36k on the clock.

I've had the urge to get a TR6 since my first ride in one back in 1976... a chocolate brown one, not my favourite colour, but it managed to sow the seed. Now I'm in a position to be able to get one I'm on the look out for a really sorted one.... Body, Chassis and engine all restored but having no luck here in Spain.

Have seen a couple on the TTSSC classifieds but no response sadly.

Wish me luck in my quest and if anyone knows of a 'good' one PM me... LHD preferred but not essential for the right one. 

• Like 1

I'd be looking to the US of A for a LHD model.

More than 50% TR6's went that way after birth.

If you can get one from the West Coast it will not have seen salt and probably little rain. The only prob is it will have twin carbs rather than PI but converting the engine to PI is relatively straightforward if that is what you want.

David

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2021 at 15:43, Chris172 said:

Early retirement gave me the chance to settle in sunny Southern Spain just before the Brexit shenanigans made their mark and then covid hit 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Always been a bit of a petrol head, XR2i for about 5 years and after that owned a 2001 Clio172 until we moved in 2018. That was a quick car especially as it was chipped. Wish I had kept in now as it was immaculate and only 36k on the clock.

I've had the urge to get a TR6 since my first ride in one back in 1976... a chocolate brown one, not my favourite colour, but it managed to sow the seed. Now I'm in a position to be able to get one I'm on the look out for a really sorted one.... Body, Chassis and engine all restored but having no luck here in Spain.

Have seen a couple on the TSSC classifieds but no response sadly.

Wish me luck in my quest and if anyone knows of a 'good' one PM me... LHD preferred but not essential for the right one. 

Well done for getting to warmer clime's before the shenanigans.  Cold and damp here in Ipswich ..wish I were there.!    I guess I'd better find myself a pretty little ex-pat lady whose settled over there, ready for this time next year. !  Naturally she'd have to like travel light when touring around in an open top sports car  ;)

The classified section of this website (..on which I believe there are two TR6's for sale right now), and also that of the TR Register, are good to watch because adverts appear there ..often long before the lead-in time for the magazines have them dropping on the doorstep.   Otherwise you might want to drop a note to those companies that specialize in selling TR bits, and indeed to each local branch of the clubs, as they are often in the right place at the right time to hear of cars not yet listed for sale. 

Because of my own circumstance (..lack of funds) I placed a wanted advert in the club magazines and bought my TR4A from a TR Register member after receiving a personal reply to that.  This car was not, to my knowledge, otherwise advertised ..which in turn gave me some leeway to finally get my ducks in a row to afford one. 

Hope that helps.  And yes indeed good luck ..and be aware that those rose-tinted sunglasses usually lead to unexpected costs !  

Pete.

On 30/10/2021 at 15:25, WWT338J said:

I'd be looking to the US of A for a LHD model.

More than 50% TR6's went that way after birth.

If you can get one from the West Coast it will not have seen salt and probably little rain. The only prob is it will have twin carbs rather than PI but converting the engine to PI is relatively straightforward if that is what you want

I like Strombergs and would be happy with them on a TR6. The bigger problem with a USA one is LHD, but it's easier than some models to convert. You don't have to move the battery compartment like you would on a GT6. 

Doug

39 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I like Strombergs and would be happy with them on a TR6. The bigger problem with a USA one is LHD, but it's easier than some models to convert. You don't have to move the battery compartment like you would on a GT6. 

Doug

Keep up Doug - the chap's in Spain and would prefer LHD! 🤣🤣🤣

Gully

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

No, it's 1.1.1900... not 7pm.

Yes, I got that hence my 

12 hours ago, Chris A said:

I'm much more upto date mine says 2115, ok 21:15 😒

Age is just a figure on paper, what really counts is how you feel., in which case I should have had that telegram from the queen years ago . . . .

3 hours ago, Chris A said:

Yes, I got that hence my 

Age is just a figure on paper, what really counts is how you feel., in which case I should have had that telegram from the queen years ago . . . .

Ah! But, will it come in French Or English?.  HMQ allegededly speaks and writes excellent French.

Pete

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I sincerely hope Chris the OP realises that amongst all this banter and drift, we're keeping an eye out for a suitable TR6...

No, the idea is we distract him from the quest and he buys the first Triumph he finds to escape all this stuff. . . .😁

Seriously, just for a moment, how many LHD TR6's would have been sold to Spain and neighbouring countries? It could be a difficult task, fingers crossed they are out there.

I know most of the Tr's, 3, 4, 5 here in France (not that I have come across large numbers)  that I have come across are USA imports.

53 minutes ago, PeteH said:

HMQ allegededly speaks and writes excellent French.

Pete

It was the official diplomatic language at one time, before HMQ obviously.

Drift on the drift : Saw her kitchens in Buckingham Palace about 50 years ago when I had to go to the place for work purposes for a couple of days, they were BIG and shiny .

13 minutes ago, Chris A said:

No, the idea is we distract him from the quest and he buys the first Triumph he finds to escape all this stuff. . . .😁

Seriously, just for a moment, how many LHD TR6's would have been sold to Spain and neighbouring countries? It could be a difficult task, fingers crossed they are out there.

I know most of the Tr's, 3, 4, 5 here in France (not that I have come across large numbers)  that I have come across are USA imports.

No distractions 🤣🤣 still looking.
Had found a LHD in UK that was really hitting the mark but then I found out due to all this Brexit malarky and with the UK no longer in the EU Spain now imposes import duties and have to pay vat on the purchase price which here is 21%.... all amounted to £4k!!!!  My son had imported 3 cars from the UK before Brexit and only paid around £750 each so was budgeting for around that.
Spanish registered LHD cars are like hens teeth... the ones out there are USA imports and not in that good a state and they want at least 10k euros over the top. There's a reasonable USA import out there but it's been painted silver 🤷🏻‍♂️ As it's a new paint job too, it's not very good and has a big run on the bonnet edge and there's already bubbling on the rear panel 🤦🏻‍♂️

Keep looking guys 🙏

1888598141_2021-11-0512_07.37-4.thumb.jpg.c860ab357b41bb7cd3ae8567761addbf.jpg

2021-11-05 12.07.38-2.jpg

2021-11-05 12.07.36.jpg

Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 14.47.06.png

Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 14.47.29.png

Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 14.48.06.png

1 hour ago, Chris172 said:

Had found a LHD in UK that was really hitting the mark but then I found out due to all this Brexit malarky and with the UK no longer in the EU Spain now imposes import duties and have to pay vat on the purchase price which here is 21%.... all amounted to £4k!!!!  My son had imported 3 cars from the UK before Brexit and only paid around £750 each so was budgeting for around that.

I imported a 13/60 from the UK to France in 2015, no VAT, no taxes, just the French MOT to pass, the good old days pre Brexshit It is a RHD and isn't any real inconvenience in the way I use it.

In fact it adds an extra 'caché', 

• 1 month later...

I've just heard a fellow TR club member is facing domestic tribulations and will be selling his RHD blue TR6.  He previously had a well sorted TR4A and expressed that this car was even better.  He's also a very capable engineer so I'm guessing the car is pretty good even where unseen.  Sorry I have no idea of price at this time.  PM me if you want me to pass on your email address. 

Pete