Rules

dougbgt6

Hello,

I was on another forum (no not that one!)  Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)  I needed to find the wiring for one of my guitars. You don't need to know that, except their forums are much like our own. How they can write reams and reams about a single guitar model from one manufacture, all divided down into sub forums, is.........impressive. Their lounge bar is the "Bad Dog Cafe" It should be Café but they're Americans.

However they have written down rules.

POSTING RULES THAT ALL MUST FOLLOW. PLEASE READ! | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

COMMERCIAL RULES FOR THIS WEBSITE | Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)

It's very comprehensive and a bit draconian, No swearing! But softens that with "no excessive swearing". And we don't need the gun lobby rules, but this could quickly be adjusted to suit us and stop a reoccurrence  of our recent unpleasantness

Doug 

• Thanks 3

Excellent discovery Doug. All of it seems perfectly sensible. I particularly like this bit 

The Moderators here are volunteers that serve to make the site better by keeping things under control. It's a thankless job. Many times they take abuse from those that they contact. They do not need to be second guessed by armchair mods that think they could do a better job.

Reg

• Like 2

I am a moderator of a famous British slot car brand and apart from the occasional gift of a car (which has dried up as they can't/won't ship to the EU at the moment) I get 0 feedback, praise, compliments... I only do it because no one else can/will...

Therefore I have a lot of time and understanding and sympathy for other mods!

I wouldn't say that, there have been a number of posts from various people, which in my view, step over various lines. Everybody has the same right to post on here, they just don't know the rules.

However, I notice we have no response from "The Top" so I think I will bring this up at the next AGM.

Doug

I too have been a moderator on another forum - generally a thankless task and usually the same offenders and affronted!

Our rules were pretty straightforward - no personal attacks, no swearing, no sexual content, no politics and no religion just about sums them up... Our biggest challenge was people who were friends and knew each other well, but would be deliberately antagonistic towards one another on the forum to see who could get another 'moderated'. As Mods, we knew what they were up to, but were governed by the outward appearance to those who didn't...

Personally, I take the view that I choose what I engage with online, whatever the platform is, and treat others as I would expect to be treated myself - generally seems to work! However, rules are an unfortunate necessity in this world. 

Gully  

Surely, It is rarely "one person". In that case the "Don`t feed the Troll" mantra should work.

Being ex M-N. there is a maritime site I go to from time to time. One "person" habitually posts potentially contentious stuff, and It is largely ignored?.

Pete

Yes please Doug. For the moment I have suggested to the moderators the Politics Topic be deleted. 

Iain

I agree with Iain's comment as attached, that on a car club forum primarily for the members benefit re tech advice and general humorous banter there is NO place for politics of any persuasion be it for or against, one's politics are for personnel consumption only, no one else wants to know!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mathew said:

Is it not better to let someone show themselves and there views for what they are?

No, because allowing them to post racist or sexist opinions makes for a very unpleasant environment. We want to avoid that.

1 hour ago, Peter Truman said:

there is NO place for politics of any persuasion be it for or against

That's a fair sentiment but needs to be absolute to be of any benefit. Which means even comments like "new format adverts" (which turned out to be a highly political definition) would need to be banned. And how the "£$%^ are the moderators supposed to police that?

11 hours ago, 2500ku-man said:

Most of the unpleasantness on this site could be removed in one go........ as it's mostly down to one person.

Then the answer is simple, just hover your mouse over the name of the offender and a box will appear with a button that allows you to ignore content from that user.

Reg

On 04/11/2021 at 12:35, dougbgt6 said:

Hello,

I was on another forum (no not that one!)  Telecaster Guitar Forum (tdpri.com)  I needed to find the wiring for one of my guitars. You don't need to know that, except their forums are much like our own. How they can write reams and reams about a single guitar model from one manufacture, all divided down into sub forums, is.........impressive. Their lounge bar is the "Bad Dog Cafe" It should be Café but they're Americans.

However they have written down rules.