Herald 1200 Twin SU H1 Carbs

Jon J 1250

Quite a number on eBay, ranging from £29.99 to around £75... back in the days of Stafford they were used to hold tarpaulins down in high winds and at the end of the show they were just abandoned by the traders. I rescued one or two hence was able to experiment.

I need a 13/60 version but few are prepared to post.

Yes, I wish I picked up a few more cheap used spares back then, I was only interested in NOS stuff in Stanpart packaging back in those days, still have quite a bit of it that I haven't used yet (I always think its too good to use and I'd never find another one! crazy isn't it, lol!)

No 12/50 manifolds on Ebay the the moment, but I've got a saved search so it's only a matter of time...hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/11/2021 at 11:44, Colin Lindsay said:

Yes, it's quite interesting how they list them all as 1200 / 1250 manifolds; I should have said there were plenty of 1200 versions on eBay, but will keep an eye out for the 1250.

Hurrah! got a bit lucky and snagged this Herald TC exhaust manifold almost as soon as it appeared on Ebay yesterday, all set now for the conversion of my 12/50 to the early Herald 1200 TC system as a winter project.
These manifolds surely don't come up for sale that often and has the longer outlet branch as per the std 12/50 manifold, so should mate up with the 12/50 exhaust ok.

Although not likely to make as big a difference as a Spitfire mk2 kit, it'll hopefully make some difference.

image.png.f20b2d2035ce93ef92d8149f8add8c42.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have started work on these carbs, making progress, but does anybody know what the thread on the spindle for the Triumph H1 carbs is, I am assuming is it a Whitworth thread?

The new spindle in the rebuild kit is a generic one and needs to be cut to size and have a thread cut on it, need to get this right.

Kind Regards

Jon

IMG_9829.jpeg

IMG_9844.jpeg

Make sure you get the flats in the exact alignment as the originals, as I've had all sorts of trouble with my Sprints replacement shafts, which had the flats already machined, the originals had the flats in line with the butterfly slot, whereas the replacements were between 3 ant 5 degrees off line. The shafts were supplied by a reputable Aus Carb supplier who I'm advised by other club members here are supplied by a major UK Carb Co!

With the new front carb the throttle spindle cam fouled the carb seat lug before the butterfly seated with no idle screw fitted, and the rear had a 8mm gap. It may b a Sprint percularity & the throttle cam variation that makes the alignment issue worse too.

The supplier advised he'd had no previous complaints, so to progress the rebuild I had to buy another new pair of shafts which ended up with one spindle as original ie in line but the other still offset, by mixing and matching the 4 shafts I could achieve a 1/16in gap on both carbs between the throttle cam with butterfly seated and the carb body before fitting the idle screws. The worst two shafts have been returned for hopefully a full refund, it's still cost me $30 in postage, for the replacement shafts and return of the worst two poor quality shafts!  
First pic original shaft

Second and Fourth, poor quality replacements

Third good quality replacement

The Original Installed HS6 Shafts, note similar vertical alignment of butterfly and flats on shaft.JPG

New Shaft No.2 Showing Mis-Alignment up to 10 degree's.JPG

New Shaft No.1 with True Alignment.JPG

SU Midel Shaft in CRK185 Kit, note misalignment of butterfly slot and shaft end flats.JPG

Thanks for your advice.

I did a bit of detective work, took a look in my original Herald 1200 parts manual and found at the back an exploded diagram of the Triumph spec SU H1 carb.
In the diagram the retaining nut that goes with the spindle (retaining the throttle stop and flex link) is diagram number AU49, which in the parts list has the number SP22C, not a regular Stanpart number.

I recall that Canley Classics very usefully have published the Stanpart Hardware Catalogue featuring lists of Stanpart nuts, bolts and fixings etc. and luckily found an SP22C in there, describing precisely all the nut dimensions, and importantly it has a 1/4" BSF thread.
Find the lists here: Spare Parts : Canley Classics

I now have a 1/4" BSF die on order and hopefully this post will be useful for future reference for anybody replacing Triumph SU H1 spindles.
(Triumph used many of their own linkage parts on these carbs, BMC instead used a locating pin rather than a thread, hence why this info is tricky to find)

Regards
JJ

thats what i suggested 

old starter solenoids and battery clamp terminals can be BSF    

always keep 1/4whit/5/16bsf spanner in the tool box 

cant think of any other places they are hang on's from days before UNF took hold 

metrics in the uk manufacturing took off mainly in the late  70's 

Pete 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

thats what i suggested 

old starter solenoids and battery clamp terminals can be BSF    

always keep 1/4whit/5/16bsf spanner in the tool box 

cant think of any other places they are hang on's from days before UNF took hold 

metrics in the uk manufacturing took off mainly in the late  70's 

Pete 

You did suggest BSF thanks, spot on, I just needed to be 100% sure, I am now, thanks for advice.

JJ

22 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

when will we here it running  ???

Pete

Hi Pete,

It ran for the first time in 16 years last August (video attached), since then I have spent time, rebuilding the brakes, doing a full fluids change, re-grease and service, and improving things that need attention when I laid it up back in 2005, like stripping an re-greasing the wiper motor/rack, replacing the heater hoses, and cleaning repainting all of the engine ancillaries and engine bay.

I should be able to get it to the SEM in Leatherhead this year, but it will be going in for some accident repair (from before my 27 years of ownership) and a respray (it should be Wedgewood blue) as soon I find somebody I can entrust it with.

Not sure when the twin Carbs are going on though, it's just something I am doing at leisure.

Regards
Jon

IMG_9790.jpeg

IMG_7104.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Looks like cherry?

It is indeed, or as close as £80 would have got you to Cherry red in 1979. Personally I can't wait until it is a shiny light blue again to match the interior!
If you need a car to put into your Courier column on a slow news day, give me a shout.

Regards
Jon

On 26/01/2022 at 11:56, Colin Lindsay said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334200344226?hash=item4dcfe48ea2:g:GzMAAOSwpqhhfTys

Posted on another thread, but repeated here - any use?

I wonder how they came to have only the jets and cold start linkages.

Thanks for thinking of me here, fortunately mine are complete in this respect, but expect fairly unusual to see these for sale, as I think they are Triumph parts probably unique to the TC Heralds.

Jon